Mozilla

Hi Jeff,

I would like to ask u one question. Could u redesign the CG site to handle Mozilla browser? I know that Mozilla is less popular than IE but it would be nice to view my favourite site from my favourite browser. Moreover - IE works ONLY on PC (MS just closed the IE project on MAC) whereas Mozilla runs on multiplatform environment. Thus this site could expand the circle of recipients. I do not mean Mozilla itself but all GECKO-based browsers at all. I can view CG architect properly but I have some problems uploading images. And one more: sometimes I have to disable my firewall (to view someone's attached images), could u tell me please how to set the firewall rules to see the images without disabling it? Thanx.

rgds,

Wojciech Klepacki

I am delighted to hear someone start a topic about Mozilla actually, because it has received some great support on the other hardware/IT web sites i frequent. Haven't gotten around to trying it out myself yet, but certainly something called 'tabbed browsing' seems to be great for use on forums etc, etc. Couple of more browsers popular right now are Firebird and Opera. Mozilla is integrated into Netscape, but however, some people i have heard are not fans of NS.

Hi,

to David:

No, it is not definitely question of my firewall, becouse I've just deinstalled it completely and some CG options doesn't still work. I use Mozilla 1.4PL on W2K PL...

to garethace:

Hmmm... actually u r not wright (please forgive me):

Mozilla is integrated into Netscape
u should rather write: Netscape is integrated into Mozilla ;) Look at: www.mozilla.org

rgds,

Wojciech Klepacki

Hi Wojciech

My setup has Mozilla ver. 1.2.1 running on Win2000Pro

I'll upgrade my browser to the latest version and see if I have the same problem. Sorry to hear you're having problems. I'm generally very happy with the Mozilla browser and am keen to see more using it.

David

Netscape is integrated into Mozilla ;) Look at: www.mozilla.org

rgds,

I'll definetly spend some more time over there, and investigate what they are saying etc. I downloaded the 1.4 build for windows last week, but have not tried it as yet. I Also downloaded a trial opera software which could be good too, it is not very expensive to buy and i know some swear by it.

• Administrators

Hi Wojciech,

To view the images on the forum that have been uploaded using my UL utility you will need to set it up to allow Referer Requests or allow all traffic to pass to both my IP and URL. Just ping my URL to get the IP. I'm not sure how your firewall is set up or which one you have so I really don't know how to configure it. I have a Linsys NAT/Router and I've never had problems with it. I think STRAT was able to configure his, but I can't find the thread. (Yet another reason to upgrade the forum software)

As far as Mozilla, I've never used it so I don't know why you are getting that problem. The entire upload script uses VBscript, ASP and HTML, so my guess it that is has to be a VB problem. Whether it's on my end or yours I really don't know.

I am starting to plan my site re-development (again) and I'm going to be basing everything on the ASP.NET Framework, so I am not sure yet what if any problem there will be with using non IE browsers. I do know that if I decide to test with IE, NS, Mozilla, and Opera and I run into problems with formattig or funtionality that do not resolve easily I am going to go with whatever works on IE. The reason for this is simply time vs the percentage of users that it affects. I've posted a few of my stats so that you can see what I am talkig about:

MS Internet Explorer 93.6 %

Netscape 2.5 %

Opera 1.4 %

Safari 1.2 %

Unknown 1 %

Windows 2000 41.4 %

Windows XP 38.9 %

Windows 98 10 %

Mac OS 3.4 %

Windows NT 2.8 %

Windows Me 1.7 %

Unknown 1.2 %

Windows 95 0.1 %

Linux 0 %

As you can see MAC users and NS users are the vast minority. There are many controls in .NET that rely upon built in functionaity of IE to work properly, although there are usually some work arounds. I suppose I could ditch M$ altogther and go the UNIX/Linux/PHP route, but I'm alreay 6 years experienced with M$ products so I'd rather not. ;)

If you post the exact steps you take with the page URLs that you experience each problem I will take a peek to see if there is anyhting in there that could be causing the problem.

Hi

I have been viewing CGarchitect with Netscape (sorry Mozilla) and have no problems with it. I like the browser interface much better the IE, especially the tabs. Sometimes have problems on sites but generally find NS very comfortable to use. Just downloaded NC 7.1 - it has more filter options and seems a bit faster.

Hi friends,

I've just set the proper rule to firewall and now have no problems viewing CGA (thanx Jeff), but... when I would like to upload an image, nothing happends. I can press over and over "submit" button ;-(((. I've tried with Mozilla and Firebird (both latest builds). So the problem IS in my overall system but I don't know where. Anyway - thanx friends for all the advices.

rgds,

Wojciech Klepacki

• Administrators

Hi Wojciech,

Can you post what you did on your firewall and the firewall you have? As I have not had to do this myself I am curious to know the settings reauired so that others can also do the same when they run into this.

Also, the problems you have uploading images are the forum upload or the main site gallery upload?

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

No problem. I'll send all the infos (concernig firewall rules) with images via mail. Is it O.K.? I have some ideas why I can't upload images but I need some time. I'll let u know when I solve the problem.

rgds,

Wojciech Klepacki

P.S.

I use Mozill 1.4 PL on W2K with Kerio Personal Firewall, but my solution works fine with IE (I've tested it) and other firewalls as I suppose.

Hi Jeff,

Hmmm... I have some general remarks:

1) on IE with Sun Java support upload doesn't work

2) without Sun Java plugin upload from IE works fine

3) Mozilla on Mac uses buildin Java

4) I can't use MS Java on Mozilla

5) next week I'll try IBM Java and let u know

rgds,

Wojciech Klepacki

P.S.

I hope u receiveed my email?

• Administrators

Hi Wojciech,

I did get your email thanks. I thought you had a hardware firewall. I guess by default Zone Alarm does not block this kind of traffic, which is what I use.

I am using Sun Java on IE and it works for me, so I am wondering if it is not a problem with your machine. Java should not be cause anyway becuase the upload script does not use Java. In fact the only thing on the entire site that uses Java is the Java chat engine.

If Java is the cause in some weird way it must be affectig how the browser interprets javascript and HTTP upload protocols.