contribution

TAKA

Hey Jeff and guys.

I was discussing with vizwhiz an idea i had long time ago. it could be a 2 phase project.

First (as this can be setup fast), and exchange area where people can contribute useful data:

3d models (finished projects, objects, trees, cars, etc)

2d plans (anything handy)

textures of various types, and mostly cutouts.

These textures will be of high quality, ready to be used as is.

Also as an add on idea, people would be able to alter these models (ie make them better) and repost them to create variation and better quality. For ex, we could start with a few non-tileable maps and someone can DL them, make them tileable / seamless and recontribute it to the community. I know that some people may not like the idea of "changing the original file" so much since it may deal with copyright change and ownerchip, but let's just remember that it's all about doing good to the community, and that when u contribute, u expect something back. I'm not asking for full commitemnt to this idea. Just in ur spare time, if u can do something, it would be good.

So for a start, we can start exchanging usefull data for the challenges. People who need floor tiles, wall textures, etc...maybe a small flower pot, i don't know, even if someone is willing to give away a car....

we could use the new upload utility...and then jeff would create a GUI to database the objects for download.

The purpose of all this is to create a Free resource for us and develop it , knowing how expensive it is now to buy 3d objects and textures.

Ok i have to go now...i'll develop the idea later.

rgds

TAKA

I'd like to add my wishes for the contribution page.

I know a lot of people have come up with some great materials, not just great maps. I haven't done a whole lot with creating custom texture maps for a specific surface, but I would love to add to my default libraries that came with my 3D program (Viz4).

Materials I'm sure we all could benefit from:

Water

Glass

Metal

Paint (like on cars)

I'm sure there are more, but those are the few that immediately came to mind.

It would be great if someone could manage the material libraries for each main category and 3d program, and update the contents of that library as more materials become available so all we would have to do is download the current library, rather than having to download all of the individual materials.

Just my thoughts,

Eric

Hi all,

Personally I fever material libraries, but I hardly use any pre-made material. I don't even re-use the same material twice as I always tweak settings continuously because I've always learned something new the next time I want to use it.

The other way around even seems dangerously to me: not adding new stuff to ones scenes anymore as one already found 'the answer'. This looks like a hold in evolution, a stop to learning...

Indifferently, I do would prefer to download material libraries rather than every material seperatly, so imho it's a good idea for those who need it.

rgds

nisus