is there only viz and max???????

myron

There are always these learning hurdels that we go through when we go through the learning process in 3D. I remember when I was teaching 3D at Rice University architecture, I would teach students maya and MAX at the same time doing the same thing. It was my goal to teach them that what is difficult is not the program (they are quick to blame the program), but the concept. A spotlight is a spotlight is a spotlight... if you know what I mean.

Taking your first step towards 3D is hard, there is no solution for that. It would be like me saying, here buy these paint brushes and you can paint like Monet in one week. The simple ones will be just as challenging as the complex one, but will simply be more limiting later. Just stay away from Houdini... that thing is crazy... It took me 2 hours to figure out how to make a cube.

ok,

your post looks good so its evident you are familiar to 3D, try linking your acad file into VIz and you'll see its not that difficult, i'd like to make emphasis on the fact that VIZ and ACAD are made to work toghether.

I link the plans and elevations into VIZ and build from that, i use splines and boxes mostly, to make the model "light" i try to avoid booleans and complex meshes, of course that depends on the project, learn to model easy first, make exercises of famous simple buildings first, like mies stuff, model only white, then practice some lighting, you'll catch it in a weekend.

You can link your model from ACAD by "pieces" also if you model best in acad, all i can say is that for any program you´ll need a lot of hours and "sweat", MAX and VIZ get fantastic results for me and i would not change them for a more "easy" program.

regards to all.

nos vimos ,mauarduz.

Maurizio, like I said before I understand were you are coming from and you are right about the interoperability of Viz and Acad; now even better and easier with Acad 2005 and Viz 2005. But the core of the question of Myron is if there is something out there that has a short learning curve and there is, althoug I think that it is implied that with a short learning curve comes less control of the settings and thus there is a limitation on the final output.

It is just like you say, you wont look back now that you have been in Viz/max, well I bet you that there are guys out there that think that CD4 or Lightscape or Maya or Renderman are a lot better than Max or even further and more to the point. There are guys and companies that do very good post production in photoshop or similar and wont even look back at just presenting final output from Viz or smiliar. That does not mean that Viz is bad or laging behind it is just what that certain company or individual needs at that moment is more or less perfect for them.

We got to take into account, time, money, output, etc. and last but not least I emphasize the individual that is going to work with a program that he/she likes and feels comfortable working with!

Nos veremos...

Maurizio, I think that you are still missing the point (and the person, it is Myron who is asking the question).

And if you wanted to suggest something NPR and extremly easy to use, you wont have to look any further than Penguin by Mcneel. It is cheaper and easier to learn than SketchUp. It took me only a couple of minutes to ge the hang of it and I was forgeting the most important thing, It works inside Acad. No need to export or even open another application.