The new renderman...

Just curious if anyone here would consider using renderman...

https://renderman.pixar.com/products/news/prman11.5.html

Based on this news, it is still more then mentalray, but I wonder if there is anything that an architecture group would find appealing in renderman. Considering that it is one of the oldest commercial rendering engines, I am wondering how many of you have tried it.

From what I have seen and heard from people, it seems Renderman is only suited for film industry.

1. It's expensive

2. It's basically a fast scanline tracer

3. It's extremely flexible, you can do alot with it's shader engine

4. it's extremely reliable, which is why film effect house love it

To me, when I look at those PRman render, I often thought they are kind of cartoonish, it's got this scanline tracer 'flavour' to it, no matter how skillful the artist try to hide it or make it real using fill light.

That also bring me to a issue about architectural renderer in general. Most of the renderers seems hard to use and you need tutorials to learn it. Most of them also seem to be up to the artist to make the rendering real. (tweaking this and that..adding fill light there and here) it is not scientifically real. There is only radiance and lightscape that seem to really simulate real life.

Also, Why isn't the renderer program getting toward this approach : you just need to set up the environmental variables like Sun position/time/season, cloud condition; or adding IES compliant lights, and just let the program do it's magic to simulate the real life.

-RM

• 3 weeks later...

If you are interested in using renderman shaders you could take a look at the ART VPS Renderdrive/PURE card. The RenderPipe software that they use to interface between MAX/MAYA and the hardware, allows you to use the renderman shading language, with which you can create materials, lights and cameras using scripts. The PRman language seemed very flexible and rendered pretty quickly on their hardware. I have only trialed the card on a weeks demo but I was quite impressed with its performance and features and am seriously considering investing in one (at work....they are not that cheap).