Vraymat and transparency

archkre

And what are the best settings of that Vraymat to

get a nice exterior architectural glass.Could glass panels be modeled like planes or do they must have depth?

Is it better a standard mat with Vray mat in reflex/refract slots or a Vraymat?

I'm still new, but I'm fond of using a standard material, putting the Vraymat into reflection slot and putting a Falloff into the vray's filter slot set to fresnel.

Could also experiment with falloff set to fresnel in the opacity slot.

Add bumps as you need, and play with a refraction bitmap also.

Renders not so fast, but looks nice.

I usually create a box and apply the material. I get nice refractions and a sense of depth very nice. For the material, I use fresnel reflections, refract and reflect on 100% with 1,6 for IOR. That's really simple, and you get the same results as using the Raytracing Glass that comes with the Max Library.

[]

Rick

I did this image a while ago...

filepush.asp?file=Glass-01.jpg

it explains the glass settign when using a simple vraymap on a standard material. VrayMat is always faster over a standard material. So, if you are lucky enough to have an advanced package, use it. Transparency is controled by using the refraction color. The filter color (or tint) can also be controled in here. If you don't want the glass to refract, you have two choices: check the "trace refraction" option off, or turn the IOR to 1.0...

In terms of fresnel setting, I would not use the one in the varymat since it is on/off, and can't be controled like the one in the falloff map.