Displacement Grass

ch83575

OK, I see everybodys cool displacement grass with v-ray all the time. My question is what kind of map are you using? I have tried to aproximate it with Maya's "leather" procedural and I have gotten close, but I am not happy yet. I am sure that a map would work better! Sombody please point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance,

-Chad

hi everyone!

i wonder if you have the same displacement map but to use it on brazil or max material because the only materials that i can find its to use on vray, i'd make some work but im not happy with the results. BTW over what kind of surface you put the material?

vray's grass displacement map is a nifty tool specifically for vray. one of it's selling points.

It cant just be transported over to another renderer in max because it's vray specific. You can try faking it, but as you probably find out it wont be anywhere near vray's grass.

I've seen this effect on a few Vray renders and it looks fantastic but is it always what you want?

I once painstakingly comped short grass into a scene with nice edges just slightly overlapping the building only to be told that the grass should be like neatly cut turf i.e. almost flat.

If you look at most new developments this is actually a very good point as Landscapers go to great lengths to get rid of these edges.

I agree about the grass edges. I've just begun to look into the methods out there and have to say VRay's looks the best. After reading the entire grass thread, it almost seems to be overkill in many situations. All depends, I guess.

I've spoken with the folks at Turbo Squid about Final Renders micro triangle displacement, which everyone assures me that it's futile to try to make grass like VRay's, but they've also assured me that they are working on it for a future service pack. I can only hope so. Some of the plugins listed will not work with fR, unfortunately.

I have to admit, I really like the idea of a one button solution ;)

Just to let you know... grass will get even easier (and much better) with the next build of Vray. In the internal build Vray now supports hair, which can easily turn into grass. Displacement is linear, but hair, like grass, curves. Some internal tests that I have done look really cool. The only thing it doesn't do is to be dynamic, so you can't have your grass (or hair) blow in the wind... yet.

filepush.asp?file=furteapot.jpg

[ January 21, 2004, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Christopher Nichols ]

I think your dog needs a haircut!

That's fantastic actually. Lightwave has a hair pixel filter that's supposed to be suitable for grass. It's excellent for hair and fur but unless you want a jungle, it's pretty difficult to use for landscaping.

Managed this after seeing your post though:

filepush.asp?file=grasstestresize.jpg

I'm sure I could improve it by playing with settings but not enough to compare with the Vray one.

You see, that's why I love VRay. It never stops to amaze us.

About the tut, you could find something in the VRay forums. But, in a simplistic way, you can simply add your grass map to the grass object (a plane preferably) and use the same map used for bump with the VRay DisplacementMod modifier. With the default settings you can get really good results.

[]

Rick

Originally posted by IC:

I think your dog needs a haircut!

That's fantastic actually. Lightwave has a hair pixel filter that's supposed to be suitable for grass. It's excellent for hair and fur but unless you want a jungle, it's pretty difficult to use for landscaping.

Managed this after seeing your post though:

I'm sure I could improve it by playing with settings but not enough to compare with the Vray one.

That is really cool IC... but as you know, the hair you are producing is a very different method. The one in vray is essencially geometry which can shadows reflects, even produces GI. The type of hair you produced (which is much finer and denser and better then the one I did) is done in the same way that volumetrics are done. The new Shave and a Haircut is amamzing at doing these. In the end they are all expensive. I won't lie to you, the vray one took 15 mins which is long for a small image with a teapot. But ram usage was low... very low. Also keep in mind that it is very premature to make any judgements if it is good or bad as it is still very much being developed, and a long way from done.