GLASS

schmoron13

I had a beta version of brazil and the glass was sweet, but I got rid of it (let's just say that I developed a conscience) and I have vray Free, but I can't get good looking glass on it or 3ds max 5.1... is there a setting I'm missing to get nice reflections, or was that one of Brazil's nice features?

C'mon! You can get great glass with VRay and/or Max 5.1. It's just a matter of parameters.

For VRay, for instance, I usually use a VRay Mat, with white reflections (Fresnell turned on) and white refractions (IOR=1.6). That does the trick most times. Of course, glass is a very delicated issue, depending on your scene. There is another topic here about making good looking glass (sorry, I don't remember which one :( ). You'll see that there's nothing you can with Brazil that you can't do with Max or VRay.

[]

Rick

Doesn't VRay free have ANY materials? Sad...

Anyway, the secret lies on reflection and refraction. A good glass should reflect the environment (which must at least be worth reflecting)and refract (that's what gives you those dark borders). You can do that with Max's raytrace material. In fact, there's a good glass in the Raytrace 1 matlib. Check the GlassClear material out, it's very good.

About caustics, I'm sorry, but you'll need a third party render to do that. Of course, you can fake caustics, either using projector lights or photometric ones. But you'll have a lot of trouble achieving good results.

[]

Rick