Does anyone use integra insight?

iamnoel

hi,

From what I remember (as I was doing the same search a few years back) its a nice renderer. You can get nice external images with it, but cant beat LS for interiors, which is the reason I stayed with LS...

Did you try their (Integra) forum?

Wait till Seismograph (Christian) will reply to this thread (if he'll see it...), he knows more about Insight, or check his website and contact him from there. Let us know what you found out.

Good luck.

hi all,

Insight is the perfect solution if you have a room with say 100 ies-lights...it even doesn't need a recalculation of the radiosity when changing the ies file!

Calculation itself is much faster than lightscape and results in a very smooth radiosity which isn't oversaturated and have smooth shadows from the lights.

..to be honest, i don't use insight right now , but when i tried it the last time it outperformed lightscape and even vray on a medium sized interior scenes.

There is something i don't like on insight: the bad AA and that it's very difficult to find the right setup for exterior images.

There is also a nasty bug with the viz4 daylight, because you can't use it with insight, so you have to import an old viz3 scene with the sunlight to use the insight skysystem...

anyway... dL the demo and have a look at it.

hmm... this topic is just asking for my presence :D

hi guys!

nice to see the old bunch together again :)

what's with the cool cool2.gif nickname Chris? :)

alright here's my 2cents for what it's worth ...

first of all, as i always say (too bad nobody cares to listen ;) ) doing exteriors with Insight is a total pain in the back and it's plain not worth the effort unless you want to hurt yourself but all the sudden ran out of any other gadgets to do so ;)

interiors on the other hand is an area where it totally rocks

it's a great production tool

cheap and efficient

it might not have all the bells and whistles of some fancy renderers (don't forget to check the price tag again), but it's fast, reliable and predictable!

what could be better for a tight dead-line and a peaky client behind your back

if you are thinking of doing a piece of art with it, you might get disappointed (although i've seen some of those around)

but if you need a tool to create a view-independent lighting simulation in a fraction of time it would take LS to do the same thing, and be able to run off multiple views or walkthrough animations, you should at least give it a try

by the way none of the interiors on our web page are a show-off

it's all real thing

every-day production renderings

and it's the quality we deliver on a regular basis

thanks to Insight :)

have fun!

and cu around ;)

PS: LS experience might be very helpful in getting a hang of Insight

Originally posted by Tony Morev:

hi guys!

nice to see the old bunch together again :)

I was wondering what would it take to bring you in here... better later than never anyway, and make sure you stick around. ;)

---------------------------

doing exteriors with Insight is a total pain in the back... interiors on the other hand is an area where it totally rocks

I remember seeing some great exterior images, but I'll take your word for it. good to know.

---------------------------

but if you need a tool to create a view-independent lighting simulation in a fraction of time it would take LS to do the same thing

What about quality, though?

I remember you and Christian, or someone else, rendering the Insight tutorial scene in Insight and LS. Which one was better? - quality wise.

Also, can you address the AA issue that Christian mentioned? Is it true only for exteriors?

Regards.

[ April 22, 2003, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: bigcahunak ]

:)

I remember seeing some great exterior images, but I'll take your word for it. good to know.
well, it was Guillermo's hard work

God knows what price he paid for it :)

but modeling is a issue no matter what

and IMHO it wouldn't pay off to do it right on an exterior

What about quality, though?

I remember you and Christian, or someone else, rendering the Insight tutorial scene in Insight and LS. Which one was better? - quality wise

it was Asim (aka Buca) :)

and not only he mastered the creation of great quality images with LS he also does it lightning fast!

the problem is that LS is a lot more peaky about modeling than Insight is

and in it's best combination max-plugin-LS

it adds a lot of going from max and back if you need to correct something

that's as far production side of it

as far as the quality goes

i think that if you put both programs in the right hands you will get something very close with the exception of Insight probably giving a little softer and more artistic result

now some words about the speed of both ...

since the way both programs store the lighting information is very close

the way it's being calculated is probably what makes the biggest difference

and MC raytracing is a lot faster than deterministic radiosity by definition :)

Also, can you address the AA issue that Christian mentioned? Is it true only for exteriors?

it used to be a huge problem

partially because of some old bugs in the code

which are fixed now

it definitely still has some space for improvement

but i don't think it's that big of a problem anymore

[ April 22, 2003, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Tony Morev ]