crazy walls? attaching emselves anywhere.....

kingeldar

does it exist a way (certainly...) to prevent some walls (not all walls dço what i'll describe here) to crazily attach to other walls in the drawing?

i'm trying to explain that some of my walls don't attach where i want but auto extend to another wall crossing sometimes the whole drawing.... i can't find which option to change to prevent that!

if someone knows.....

i just pointed out an alternative.

yes. standard 3d acad. or facing.

surfaces will give you a much better 3d mesh for rendering than solids or ADT meshes, its much more controlable. not as easy and quick for newcommers to master, but then ADT meshing and solids needs mastery too if it's to be used effectivly in 3d rendering packages.

[edit]

not that i'm starting up the solids/facing debate again :p

[edit]

[ March 05, 2004, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: STRAT ]

so i understood

well i started 3d using acad

what a pain

what a headache

what a loose of time when architects calls you and say

"well all 1.2 meters window will now change to 1.1 meters height.... and all glider will now be french windows.... " with acad my answer "ok this will take xx hours and cost uxx hours more" and after i have to work all that time

With ADT "same answer" but 5 minutes of work... lol

so i love modelling in adt...

and i'm tryin to master it so i can do everything i want (soon....)

:)

Originally posted by kingeldar:

with acad my answer "ok this will take xx hours and cost uxx hours more" and after i have to work all that time

With ADT "same answer" but 5 minutes of work...

fair point. hense why i say newbs may struggle.

i can face edit those changes in identicle time you can solid edit them. master your methods and time is no object. and face modelling is worth mastering over solids. imo it's a must.

but hey, no sweating over it :)

i'm not trying to argue

i'm just trying to understand ur point

cause i'm what u call a newbie

i can't figure how modelling with surfaces can be as easy and fast that aec objects....

it seems so hard to handle (surfaces) in a traditionnal acd ....

adt is so easy so fast....

but i learnt 3d on adt that's certainly why my mind is this way.... (my english is more awful everyday isn't it...lol)

kingelder

Strat is correct. ADT aec solids generate many additional faces in 3d viz type programs. The faces are, by default, generated from the corner vertices of the ADT boundries. Lots of long triangular faces - wierd lighting and shadows in viz max for example - long render times due to small meshing parameters to over come this problem. This is just one small part of why.

A beginning of an explaination...

Future Tutorial

Interested? Does it look like it maybe helpful?

Strat-If you feel so inclined to comment-Any suggestions or info you feel could/should be covered in additional tuts.

rgrds

WDA

Hi..If you post an image would be excellent

but i think your problem is the clean-up radius

the prefect proportion is width*0.75 ...to do this faster I'd use DTI tools (It's free).

About modeling in ADT...I disagre with strat, there are many ways to create good meshes in ADT

*convert the whole model in 3d Solid and explode in regions, move the regions in different layers by materials.

*convert every AECelement(walls,slabs,roof,etc) in one piece with aecmasselement.

with windows and doors..turn off glass layer and convert the frames in one object then turn off frames and convert glasses in one object...this one could be mass element or 3d solid.

if you explode mass elements you'll get 3d faces with solid you'll get regions.

I always create my models in ADT and I don't have any problem...if you have a wierd face in your model under 3ds max o viz...just explode it in elements..apply material with 2-faces or unify your normals.

I use ADT because i need the same model for renderings and constructions documents, I don't want to work twice for the same project.

Fernando - i hear you and i cant argue with you. you sound like you know ur way around aec/solids. thats one of my points - make sure ur good at what you know.

even so, it's still a hasstle to get a super clean mesh. and at the end of the day, a SUPER clean and PERFECT mesh is what we should strive to.

even tho face modelling is a longer task for the newbie, it will always be cleaner than solids, whichever whay you look at it, because the artist is in FULL 100% control of the mesh from the outset. impossible not to be. (pressuming again, the artist knows his tools).

use the 1 model for rendering and construction documents? isn't that obvious? dont we all do that? ;)

wda - i'd love to write some acad modelling tuts, i just havent got the time :(

i have got plans sometime to make myself an architectural vizualisation site covering all aspects of cga. neil blevins style.

I understand your point Strat...for me Solid works good when you already have a design with minors modifications...and AEC elements works well when you are designing...imaging, change the size or the style of 200 windows were done with solids..I did it before and it's a pain!!

a Tip: If you want to clean up your mesh another

way is export your model from ADT to Sketchup..in sketchup turn on the option coplanar faces and export it to 3ds.

:angerazz:

This thread is turning out to be just what I asked for a little while ago - here . I don´t think I really got my problem across so I´m happy to see this thread.

Actually - all of the described methods deserve a thorough explanation for all us wannabe´s. I sort of understand what all of you are doing on a general level but it would be nice to get the details of it.

I know that tuts like these would be invaluable to all us architects trying to learn a little bit of CG. But I guess its sort of like asking a software company to give detailed instructions on how they programmed their products... ;)

Still - I´m looking forward to your site Strat.

Jeff - How about making a thread where all the interested pros have a go at describing their work process in general - you know from hankerchief sketch to finished rendering?

• 1 month later...
Hi..If you post an image would be excellent

but i think your problem is the clean-up radius

the prefect proportion is width*0.75 ...to do this faster I'd use DTI tools (It's free).

Hi, Fernando!

I just ran into this thread today while I was trying to solve the same problem - walls attaching themselves to anywhere but where I click. It seems to happen only in certain occasions, but I'm really having trouble finding out when. I tried to set the clean-up radius as you said but it doesn't work. 0 or 0.75, the walls still attach themselves to another wall far, far away... ANy ideas on why this happens and how to solve it?

[]

Rick