To start with

Arnel

Hmm, since you are talking about surface pattern, I am guessing you don't like the hiddenline render revit provides. To be honest, I don't like Revit's own accurender, as it's usually washout, and flat. My suggestion for most effective result is to export your Revit 3D model in this case to VIZ4, and render there, with proper Bump mapping for a metal seam roof.

-RM

I don't like Revit's own accurender, as it's usually washout, and flat.
I know this is being pedantic, but Accurender is my current renderer of choice, and you will only get washed out, flat results if you don't use it properly, or don't take the time to figure it out. (The same goes for all other software)

That's true, but having seen so many other Revit rendering, (and my own test rendering) I felt accurender still can't compare to normal VIZ4/lightscape render.

BTW, do you have some rendering done in Revit/accurender that you could show us ? :)

Originally posted by psyanide:

quote:
I don't like Revit's own accurender, as it's usually washout, and flat.
I know this is being pedantic, but Accurender is my current renderer of choice, and you will only get washed out, flat results if you don't use it properly, or don't take the time to figure it out. (The same goes for all other software)

Yup, I have a few here in the gallery (under Sam Pollock, both of them are me). I use Accurender in AutoCAD, and had a peek at this forum as I know Revit has AR3 built in (and since there is no Accurender forum, since it's not as commonly used as everything else).

I'll need to see what's in the gallery of mine, since I can't remember, and I might have a trawl through what I've done recently and attempt to get them up too.

There are also AR3 images on the gallery by a guy called Vincent Hunter (I think) whose stuff is pretty damn good.

I do agree though that Viz and Max are both begining to look better with the GI and radiosity, but with a good render package already built into Revit, or that doesn't cost much to add onto AutoCAD, why shell out a whole heap of cash on Viz? (Unless you really need it, and if you do, you probably don't need AutoCAD or Revit)

Had a quick peek, the second instance of my name (the comunick8 one) has more images, the ice-cream counter is probably the most usefull for a comparison, but the way things go here (and probably everywhere) is we are given a stupid deadline at the last minute, so the images haven't been cleaned up to the level they should have been. (Excuses, excuses. ;) )

On the AR newsgroup, Peter often posts actual photos from his companies brochures by way of comparison, and to be honest, his images are no flatter than reality. It's probably just that the subject matter isn't very exciting. :)

Hi guys cool it down. I started the topic to discuss issues with Revit software not to compare which renderer is better than the other.

Maybe i should change the topic then.

Is there any work around to let the gutter profile from horizontal direction to connect and miter with the incline direction (rake)?

No need for plug-in man, you can do it easily using the in place family creation and no programming required unlike in archicad.

Revit 6.0 is coming very soon with a lot of enhancements as what i've heard.

• 3 weeks later...

You can import object into Revit, using the import function :

File > Import/link (DWG, DXF, DGN)

Usually, I prefer to have my model in VIZ4

exported to DXF, then imported into AutoCAD for touch up (also it does better translation) and export again to DWG/DXF into Revit.

This method is fast, kinda.. but you have one disadvantage... the mesh is shown as wireframe vertices..I really like Revit's own hidden-line render .. so... if you don't mind that and can live with it.. it's okay, also, you lose a bit of parametric capability with it compare to just model inside Revit.

-RM