Asking for a raise...

kainoa

Hey people...been reading the "Is your CG pay up to par" thread and it got me thinkin. For a while i've been thinking about how to ask my supervisors for a raise. I know there's a lot of resources out there that have advise on this but i'd really like to here about your advise/experiences (how to ask, what to ask for, what to do/not to do, etc.).

If you're interested and dont mind sharing personal info then cheers :) . I greatly value any ideas or stories.

Thanks!

Asking for a raise is one thing... but asking for a raise in this economy is another. Companies are having a hard time keeping employees, so giving raises are not looking too good for most. What I would do is "be loyal" to your company and help them through the hard times. When things pick up and the jobs start coming in, they will remember your loyalty and may give you a raise when you ask for it... at the appropriate time.

However, if you really want more money, the best way to get a raise (and generally a much better raise that you would normally get), is to change jobs. If you can find another job that will pay you more, you're set. If you can't, you probably are worth what you are getting.

Hi,

i have got that problem also...

First thing you should ask is for a meeting with your employer. If you don't ask they will not come to you. They expect you to ask more money. If you have worked at least one full year you are elligeable for a raise...because you are better from when you came in the first time. Express your feeling that you want raise. They will ask you how much you want. Says something like a dollar higher then what you realy want. If you want 19$/hr ask for 20$ and they will offer you 19$. They will try to intimate you bt saying that time are hard and that stuff, don't bother with that. So good luck in your procedure, stay calme and focus on how you are worth on the market.

In addition to enginz good advice, when youre in that meeting ask first what YOU can do for the company, what your boss thinks that you could do better or what more you can do to satisfy him and help the company.

If he told you that, than ask him what he is willing to pay more to satisfy your needs. So with that way youre on par, a much more pleasing situation for both of you.

HTH

ingo

"the doctor is in "

Guest crazy homeless guy

go on interviews until you get offered a nice amount over what you are making. if you like the other company better, take the job. if not, sit down and talk to your supervisor. tell them that another firm has made you an offer that you do not think you can turn down. tell him you have enjoyed working for blah blah blah. tell him how you like the work environment blah blah blah. tell him you are interested in staying with the company, but can not turn down the other offer. now talk money.

worked for me.

i guess the main thing is that the company your working for considers you a valuable resource. if not, you might find yourself working for the other company, whether you really wanted to or not.

going on interviews is also a nice way to figure out what you are worth financially on the market.