HELP to improve

warwickw

I don't see much wrong with the basic models.

Your texturing and lighting need a bit of work though. Read as much as you can find on those two areas and try to up the quality of the actual renders (anti-aliasing etc).

Good modelling is the starting point for all renders but lighting and texturing are pretty much an art form and are what seperates good renders from bad.

i'd like to know what software you're using. knowing that can suggest some specific idea to improve your images.

edit: haven't seen it at first glance. forget my stupid question.

i'd like to help you, but since i don't model in ADT and don't render with accurender i don't have that much to add.

i'd like to know what software you're using. knowing that can suggest some specific idea to improve your images.

edit: haven't seen it at first glance. forget my stupid question.

i'd like to help you, but since i don't model in ADT and don't render with accurender i don't have that much to add.

ok thanks rivoli

Like everyone here's said - the modeling is really good and I can't find any problems there. I don't know that much about Accurender, but it seems to me like it takes quite a bit to master it. I've seen quite a few renderings done with it that don't look much better or realistic than ArchiCad's native renderer, or for that matter - the renderers you get with a $30 home design program. Again, I'm not dogging your work - it's just the quality of the render that's bugging me. I have seen a few really nice images done with this renderer, but I'm curious as to how much time and effort it took to get them right...

Again, I really like the modeling and composition in these images.

Ken Walton

If you are new to this:-

Not looking at the aesthetic quality of your images I can definatly see room for improvement with your camera angles. Try point up at the building to give a sence of 'Grande Architecture', bear in mind the verticle lines need to be verticle when doing this, unless your are asked otherwise.

I really dont like to look at images of architecture from the above angle like this, it just seems wrong some how, unless its part of an animation.

I really cant give you any pointers for the software you are using but the AA needs work, your textures need to improve. Personally I never use 'standard software materials'. It always helps me to use Photoshop for textures.

Dont use tiled textures. It does not look right, Your mind cant help but look directly at tiled textures.

Your modelling is excellent, this is the hardest part to learn imo. I would seriously think about getting a better program. I cant really say much for ADT but I am sure there is better programs out there suited to where you wanna get.

Hope I helped

Yeah I have just been looking at the accurender website.

http://www.accurender.com/

Its obviously a perfect modelling tool, not knowing this program at all. Its the rendering side to the software which is'nt really 'cutting edge' software. The images all look 3-4 years old from this software. I personally would have a look around at other software renders and look for where you want to be and get it.!

Why draw on toilet paper when you could be drawing with proper materials and nice paper.

Sorry to any hard core Accurender users. Don't mean to offend.

Hi Warwick,

While it's true that it's the person driving the software that determines the results, I've only seen about 5 people who know how to drive Accurender. The McNeel server (news.McNeel.com) has an AR3 newsgroup that is very active and there are some very helpful people there. While there are a few people there who post some very good work, the majority of it looks like little more than screen shots to me.

As others have mentioned, your modeling is good (except for the odd floating structural element), but the daylight is "harsh", there is heavy aliasing, and the images have a low-res, washed-out quality about them.

Have you considered trying VizRender, which comes with ADT 2004?

Your modeling skills are already detailed. Correct me if I'm wrong as I'll add some more to what has been cited above, especially about the environment. Some of the background sky you are using looks like it was rotated 90 degrees. Do take note of the elements such as the textures you add into your composition that they will not look out of place

Thanks guys for all your help.

I havent had time to use the viz render add on to ADT yet. So i will get onto it as soon as there's time.

My time has been taken up alot by working drawings and details lately.

It looks as though AccuRender isnt as powerful as i once thought.

The Crits are appreciated.

Any other comments?

Please dont hesitate.

Ciao

WW

;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. This is the first time that i respond in this forum, have been active in ar3 forum.

Your modeling is great, critique in last building would be in the five story column element at the corner that seems part of the stucco wall, i think it would be better if column element read more like a support structure rather than a punch out of the walls.

In concern to AR3, it seems that you just used what the programs gives you as standard. I have been a long time user of ar3, i like it because is very simple, it would be great to be able to manage viz4 or 3d studio max5, i've tried with no real succes. Trick for good lighting is to not forget to use Radiosity. A must for interior renderings and even good for exterior, only drawback is that it takes time in the proccesing of readio solution. But a must!

One thing that i have found very useful is the program UVEclipse that helps ar3 with global ilumination and works directly with ar3 and adt4. website for free program and plug-in:

http://www.nurbs.tk

Another great website for help and free stuff is:

http://www.accustudio.com

I attached some of the images that i have done over the years, hope it is helpful.

Hi warwick, im a accurender user myself. the software has limitations but you can get much better results than the one you got. try to use radisity even for sunlight, improve your glass material(too reflective) and try lower angle cameras. i have here a rendering where i used ies files for the lighting, to get an idea.

Hi Jorge, im a accurender user myself and happy to find someone else too. are you using ar3 for long? i ve trying out the lightdome but im not very happy with it yet.take a look at my rendering. i cant use sunlight along with the dome. how did u get the strong light i saw in rendering you sent to warwickw? (the one that looks like plastic model) what kind of uveclipse file did you use? please tell a bit about the setup of the lighting. thanks

hi guys/girls

thanks for the input. myron, i like your your lighting.

i find night shots with non-natural lighting quite interesting.

i am also interested in good quality day shots.

when i have the time i would like to get back to rendering the scenes, but

there is no time right now.

it is really inspiring to see the work that has been posted.

i will work on it and post my images as soon as they are complete.

ciao 4 now

• 2 weeks later...

Myron, great lighting on the model. Tells us your settings!

I get the direct sun light + the lightdome by turning off the skylight in the light edit of the Sun. And I get the blue tint of the shadows by using a panoramic image in UV Eclipse.

Tell me if it works. Post your image!

Hi Jorge, well the settings are very simple. All lights are with ies files except the bollards at the entrance and with radiosity always of course. The scene is lit only by lights you see, nothing else. Here some more with more lights on (ceiling). Hope you like it.

Those look great. I have never used the ies lights but by the looks of your images it looks very good. Do you have any suggestions for the ies lights?

What are your radiosity and rendering lights. It is a shame that ar3 does not have network capability, but I think that in the new version AR4 it is going to be possible to tap into a network to help with the radio and rendering engines!

Try to use sometimes ies files if you are looking for specific type of lighting, indoor or outdoor. The luminaires i used are from the ar3 library, ceiling recessed, downlighting. You can edit them and load ies file, either from ar3 or can download from the net, e.g http://www.erco.com. You ll find there the luminaires in dxf file, catalogs and the ies files for each lighting. The lights on the ceiling are just the rectangle ones, 600X600 from the add option. Thats about it. Let me know if i can help more. Good luck.

The luminaire model i ve used from the site are the spotlights, next to the stair. You can see them on the site, there is pic of the model, download section-design data/luminaires. The rest is from ar3 library.

Yes, they emailed me the trial version long time now. I told them that it doesnt work properly, specialy radiosity, it keeps crashing...

They would look into this problem, dont know if they fixed it, but dont think so... Just hope that ar4 ll be better, looking forward...

By the way, do you know any date when it ll be on the market?