Anyone else model in AutoCAD? Anyone use file linking?

Reitveld

your screen is just like the DOS AutoCAd screen I was used to on those terrible on wang systems back god knows when. When did you start to use computers Strat? Did you learn on DOS by any chance? Funny how time just flies isn't it?

yip, i started on pc's in 1988. i started in DOS on REL 10 on an old 086 pc, with a massive 16mb ram!!! and yes, i learned DOS fluently, altho i've all but forgotten it these days. :(

i also beta tested 3dstudio rel 1 in dos :)

I was trained in DOS 3dstudio back in the mid nineties, but back then 16mb of ram was pretty standard with win 95 etc.

I can only imagine what 16mb of ram must have been like in 1988, since I was playing around with a Commodore 64 until the mid eighties I think.

I used to model in AutoCAD. Didn't get into it as early as the rest of you guys, but then again I was still only 11 when I started learning on 12 (which was the latest release as I recall). I got a job when I was 15 doing 3D CAD engineering drawings after they saw I'd modeled this in AutoCAD. (rendered in 3d Studio Max R2) I must have modeled that ship at least four times, and the last time I got it down to a little over 30 hours. So suffice it to say I'm all too familiar with the limitations of modeling in CAD.

Perhaps tools have gotten better since I switched to modeling in Max exclusively, but the biggest thing for me still is the ability to create a shape and modify it after the fact. Tapers, bends, etc... and kind of deformations you can only really create with lofts and booleans, and I can't tell you how many math errors I used to get. So now I can model a roof plan in an hour without any boolean operations. I trace and create closed polylines off the CAD plans and take dimensions off them for extrusion heights -- trying to do that in Max is far too inaccurate for me, and CAD is much more efficient (and accurate, of course) at drawing in 2D than Max will ever be. I really miss the command line interface, and even Max's keyboard customizability leaves much to be desired. One of these days I'll write a treatise for discreet -- I'm sure they've already heard it all on the subject though. But even dealing with the ridiculousness of a GUI, I'm confident that I'm still much more eficient in Max.

Oh, and not having to double-side my meshes because of normal errors is also a plus. Unless CAD has straightened that out in the past three or four years.

Cheers dudes,

Shaun

my first modeling was in acad12 dos. when i got 3dstudio dos r2, i mainly used it for modeling. and softdesk for acad12 (that time named ?architect?, i forgot) came. and, I used archt for acadr13 for modeling. in 2000, i heard about adt, and i used adt r1 first. now i use adt 3.3 and link it to 3ds viz. sometime i use max6 and adt 2004 :p . below is my work with softdesk and 3ds studio r3 (1995):

http://www.3dvn.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=1455

Sorry I’ve not posted back to the thread I started... I got hit with a pile of work. Yippee!!! I really love 3D stuff!!!

Right, first off, you guys have been most gracious in telling my which software you model in and whether you file link or not. Thank you very much for you insights.

I do a majority of my modeling in AutoCAD (and for shorter deadlines, SketchUP) and I like the file linking because of the ever changing designs. One day there is an overhang, the next, no overhang, and the third day its back again. Sheesh...

I guess Eagle said it best in that I’ve stuck with what I know best and not really embraced Viz for the modeling power it offers. I’ve learned to model in AutoCAD back in version 12, so in a way I am like Strat. Shortcut keys all the way... but the new company I work for does not allow for personal shortcut keys... which has significantly hurt my performance. I have to use toolbars or learn their ‘company approved’ commands. Grrrrrr... don’t get me started (I mean why type in ‘dist’ when you could just hit ‘d’.... ohhhh don’t get me started)

Anyway... as far as the point snaps.... really the snaps settings that AutoCAD has (midpoint, endpoint... etc) is what I use ALL the time, but after looking into what was said earlier (typing in .x or .y), this seems to be a different way of making sure ACAD understands exactly where I need a snap. Even though I consider myself quite versed with ACAD, I still find it far too slow to model with. Its very powerful but still the way modeling is done in CAD has not changed much at all from how it was in version 12. You still model with the same few commands, with little improvement in this area. I really wish AutoDesk would focus more energy on improving the command database (number or power of the commands) rather than focusing so much attention on web based collaboration (something I think few people really use... or ever will ).

Ok, enough ranting from me... I’m tiered and need some sleep, some food, and a shower.... but not really in that order.

Cheers & Thanks Again,

Patrick

• 2 months later...
What is file linking anyway? I use AutoCAD 2000 ADT 2 to model then export as a .3ds file to import into max6. Is there a better way?

Yes, but file linking is not avialable in Max6.0 (unless you have the subscription service). File linking is a connection to AutoCad allowing for updating without reloading the entire scene in max.

Have you tried importing the dwg file into max 6 using Files>import? ADT 3.0 (AutoCad2000) works well, but I do not know how well ADT 2 does.

WDA

Hello everyone:

What a sensitive issue! I guess the main point is that to model in 3D, it has turned out as a very painful learning curve. I use SolidWorks to do furniture and mechanical stuff going inside the 3D Models. There is nothing like a parametric design tool. All these softwares for architects are too complex and clumsy. However, if they make them easier to use..... some people will loose their jobs.... and no-body would up-grade. Maybee I am wrong......

I use Viz, LS and SolidWork...... this last week in Chicago I had the opportunity to work with a client that is using ProE.... The last version.... I was impressed at how user friendly and above all, that it didn't demand too many resources from the computer.... I may switch... from SW to Pro E.

As far as Autodesk.... their programs are a little bit clumsy for what they are continuosly charging us for upgrades.... There is not many new things in Viz 5...... just an old horse with a different gown..... The new radiosity engine doesn't convince me.... I am too busy and old to be constantly retraining myself everytime the developers want to change, just because marketing is dictating the changes.... Money... money.... money... and upgrades..... That's all what this means....... After I got accostumed to my icon tools on Viz 4.... on Viz 5 they changed them.....

We have two engineers and 3 drafting staff members in our office and we are not letting them spend time on all these nonsense non-productive upgrades..... These upgrades have no continuity or consistency.... it is like they reverse their charter goals every two years to force people to upgrade..... They do this big production about how they are listening to the users, that's why they have the alpha and beta phase during development.... however, then they get mad at the people that suggest changes..... The software business people want their objectives....$$$$$$$$ The developers are forced to come out with products that are not fully finished.....

I am not mad at them but I refuse to learn and read new manuals everytime their sales and marketing people decide is time to give a new bonus to their CEO's

Elliot

• 3 months later...

I started on acad 12/13. I'm pretty fast and have very few icons on the screen. Acad and file link to VIZ4 99%, except the curvy stuff. If you use the command line, a custom toolbar and the 3dorbit function, the filters may slow you down.

I like file linking b/c all of my projects change all of the time.

As for the boolean function in max/viz...its easy. You select an object, go to create: compound objects: Boolean: Subtrat (A-B): Selct B (the object you want to use as a cookie cutter)....but not as easy as acad coomand: su :)

Knowing both platforms is defintely a plus, but as the solid modelling is being phased out its becoming less important to learn all these modifiers in viz. We just have to wait until Vray can be added on/plugged into ADT 2008 w/ VIZ render :)

Hopefully all this solid modelling will soon be obsolete soon and replaced by the "BIM" software.....NOT There is still atleast ten years before BIM is mainstreamed into architecture judging by the way Autodesk has set up shop.

By the way... can ADT 2005 w/ VIZ render do multi levels like Revit does? If so I'll consider buying it and forget about file linking........riiiiiiiiiiiiight

Just like Fran said before, I had a similar fate in my first job. The chiefs did not see the benefits of using 3d for presentations. I learned one year that we were so slow you had to look busy doing something. I am sooooo glad I spent my time learning 3d and accurender than playing doom all day like others did! :p

When I showed the bosses my new tricks they said it was a waste of time!:eek:

Now I model 99% in ACAD and FIle Link into Viz 4, I do most of my modeling with solids, never learned mesh or faces, just use faces or line thickness on glass and other small stuff.

The reason for file linking is because were I work the design keeps changing and I need to make the changes in CAD. It is OK becuase it is cool to see your design evolve in plans and 3d at the same time and when you actually design and model you pick up a lot of the stuff that is going on in the project that you might not if only doing 2d line drawings.

Cool thread by the way!

I model about the same as most people...in AutoCAD 99.9%. Having a drafting background really helped when AutoCAD started finding it's way into businesses dare I say it?....years ago. I think it's that background that lets me create things and move around in 3D space realitively easy , but when I run up against free form designs I feel AutoCAD just doesn't cut it. I recently started working in 3D Max and I am amazed at the amount of control one has over an object. My only problem with Max is I'm not as comfortable in that software as I am in AutoCAD and creating things seems to require a different train of thought. There are plenty of controls to do things in Max but its like taking me out of my old mustang and plopping me in the cockpit the latest fighter jet. Oh well change or die I guess. For now I export CAD files as .3ds and import them into Max. Things usually turn out pretty good but a few things seemed to get lost in translation once in a while. Though I had a 3D model created in IronCAD that came into Max flawlessly and ended up with a pretty cool animation. Things change so I guess ya gotta roll with the punches. Everybody have a good weekend...I need a Jack&Coke.

Jon

• 2 years later...

Just wanna share my experience in Autocadd before i use it 99% in modelling but im having problem in Nurb modelling, so i tried lots of software and i discovered Rhino3D in same environments with cadd & lot more easier to model Nurbs. So now i do 80% Rhino3D & 20% cadd.:)

i use file linking most of the time i render.

crush:cool:

• 6 months later...

Personally I almost never do modelling in AutoCAD. I often do all the 2d work in AutoCAD and then do the modelling in 3dMAX. I only use AutoCAD modelling when I need to solve more complex geometries where the different UCS systems are the best way to solve them. I have my own way of using AutoCAD with 3dMAX but I think File Linking is worth giving it a try.

Hello everyone:

I use Viz, LS and SolidWork...... this last week in Chicago I had the opportunity to work with a client that is using ProE.... The last version.... I was impressed at how user friendly and above all, that it didn't demand too many resources from the computer.... I may switch... from SW to Pro E.

I used Pro/E for 7 years before getting into 3D visualization.

Solidworks is supposed to be very user friendly too, so I don't know how much of an improvement you are expecting to receive from going to Pro/E.

As for the original question of the thread:

I start all of my large sites in AutoCAD. I can efficiently model complex terrains much more accurately. I am able to create quad-based geometry that is optimized for road, sidewalk, parking lot textures. And finally, the same optimized geometry becomes the foundation for modeling overpasses, culverts, retaining-walls and dams in Max.

My workflow is specialized for civil visualization, but this approach will work very nicely for any type of sitework

• 10 months later...

Hi Patrick

I used to do all my modeling in Autocad and them importing them into max and there do all my texture, lighting, material, etc.

But in the company that I now work for, just have Autocad LT and max, so I had to learn how to model in max, which I must admit was pretty easy, after a copuple of weeks and was already modelling (I am still earing, but the basic is there):)

I miss Autocad 3D sometimes, I guess what I am trying to say is, it is good to have both of them, and you will find the compromise of how much to model or not in Autocad and when to tranfer it to Max.

But give a try to model something just in Max, you will be surprise how easy you will pick it up, :pthere boolean, extrude, and much more modifiers similar to Autocad

I also modeling everything in max. Just placing my sketches and model the object. I remember when I first started to make arch viz I always made the model in ArchiCAD and then exported to max, but there were always some elements that I can made only in max, not to mention that the wire of the model from archicad was pretty bad, so I decided to save my time (which I've spended in looking for details to download and struggling with the clumsy interface) and to make everything in max.