Linking to thumbnail images

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

I noticed that many of you have started to link directly to the uploaded thumbnails so that you can post an inline image. The problem is that this creates broken image links for all users that are not logged in. To prevent bandwith theft and to prevent non-registered users from viewing images I have set up profile whereby only registered users can download or see images posted on the server. When you link to a thumbnail like this it creates a broken image link to non-registered users and makes it look like the site is full of broken images. I've disabled a setting that alows this so that both registered and non- registered viewers see only a link. If you are registered you can see the thumbnail, but non-regisered visitors see only links.

What, exactly, would be the process then, to use the file uploader to show a picture on the forum?

If the uploader now will only produce the 'attachment' thumbnail, are we NOT supposed to paste the URL for that uploaded image into a regular image tag? If that's the rule I'll follow it, I just like inline images and the uploader is easy, encourages posting.

On a similar issue, I have seen now several posts where longer posted URLs are getting shortened in their posted version, and then don't function. Like the one from me the other day. It showed up on the board shortened, but that is not what I saw in the editing window. Finally I just put the picture on my server and direct linked. Is it that the URLs are getting longer with the uploader and the board software is then truncating with "..." in the URL?

• Administrators
What, exactly, would be the process then, to use the file uploader to show a picture on the forum?

If the uploader now will only produce the 'attachment' thumbnail, are we NOT supposed to paste the URL for that uploaded image into a regular image tag? If that's the rule I'll follow it, I just like inline images and the uploader is easy, encourages posting.

Basically you can do inline posts if you host it or link to an outside server, or use the thumbnail if you post it via the uploader. It's not that I mind people linking directing to the uplaoded post, but it ruins the experience for new visitors to the site who will only see a broken image unless they log in. To prevent this and to keep malicious use of the tag, if you try to post a dynamic link inside an it will apprear only as a link.

On a similar issue, I have seen now several posts where longer posted URLs are getting shortened in their posted version, and then don't function. Like the one from me the other day. It showed up on the board shortened, but that is not what I saw in the editing window. Finally I just put the picture on my server and direct linked. Is it that the URLs are getting longer with the uploader and the board software is then truncating with "..." in the URL?

Yeah I am noticing that, but I have not been able to reproduce it. Can you try testing this in the test post section and let me know exactly what steps you are doing? I uploaded an image to the site via the uploader, copied the link to it into an tag and posted and was able to see the image, so I am confused about how the truncating is happening. As soon as I know a bit more, I'll post a support ticket.

• Administrators

Actually I just did a test and making them bigger is pretty ugly. I also tested another feature where there are no thumbnails at all. The images are still attached within attachments section but I can choose either all images to be inline or only inline if there is one attachment, but either way that will slow the board down.

So this is how it works:

Upload on your server or another server = Inline image or link (your choice)

Upload on CGA server = thumbnail

Upload on CGA server and use or WYSIWYG image insert = link

Make sense?

• Administrators
so if i understood well

the only way to have image inside post is to upload it anywhre but on CG? then post link

uploading on CG won't allow to see image in post? that's it? did i understand?

Sort of. If you post using CGA's file attachment utility then you will onyl see thumbnails, which you have to click on to see the larger file. To see images at full size inside the post you have to link from outside. I personally like the thumbnails better than seing full size images in the post, as you have to scroll more and it messes up the formatting of the site if you post a wide image.

thx answering

ok

not a problem to me

just wanted to be sure i understood

so i'll avoid turnin crazy tryin to do sumetin i can't do

i like thumbnails too it's faster scrolling ur right

and it's easier to write a critic having the image in another ie window....