Out Of Memory

Problem ran out of memory see the screen capture

http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=165&stc=1

Before I get spanked for tooo many photons, it was just an experiment to find limits for my system and Mental Ray. It appears that the memory resources are adequate. Question is; what can be done and or why did it happen? Please explain because this does not make sense to my humble understanding.

System Info

XP pro sp1 HT on

Running Max6 Rendering with MR

Task Manager

ATI services running in background (ati2evxx.exe)

Network Service in background

Asus P4C800-E

P4 3.2ghz (running at 3200MHz)

2g ram 2-Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 (2.5,3,3)

ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb (current driver) Direct X display in Max

Thanks to anyone who can possibly shed some light on this

WDA

this may be of help m8, quoted from an 'out of ram' post i made here last week....

well i've just downloaded this -

http://www.flightsimsetc.dhs.org/co...es/bysoftfr.exe

which help closer monitor and keep an eye on my RAM usuage. i'm currently rendering a huge anim in c4d. i have 1 gig or ram. it's so far up to frame 28, rendering at a steady 2.5 mins per frame. but my free ram is dangerously hovering at the 10 mb mark. i've tried hitting the 'free ram' button, but obviously it's in use.

this shows that it is rendering within ram, and baring anything like nasty reflections comming into view, it should, in theory, continue around this ram/time limit.

there's 2000 frames btw.

this app helps me monitor, automatically free up ram and utilise it much more efficiantly

this may be of help m8, quoted from an 'out of ram' post i made here last week....this app helps me monitor, automatically free up ram and utilise it much more efficiantly

Thanks STRAT,

The auto free memory may save those early morning "oh @#$***'s" This one was wierd though, tried 3 times with the file, same results. Posted here went to open the file and all of the dll links for MR were corrupt- at the software level. A quick re-install, ya right, and things are good.

Thanks for the tool link!!!!

WDA

Some operations require a contiguous block of memory to work. Those include large meshes, large bitmaps, displacement, etc.

That's probably why that error is happening.

Also, try using OGL or D3D instead of Software Z Buffer is that's what you're using.

There isn't much more I can do to help without seeing the file.

Alexander