Combustion as an NLE?

czoog

Hi guys,

Do you think it would be feasible to use combustion as an NLE for short animations (1 to 5 minutes) and medium length marketing videos (15 minutes)? It looks like the edit operator in version 3 could handle the cuts and transitions we would need.

I don't really want to go the adobe route, because we would obviously get the video collection, which would include after effects, and then I'd have a tough time convincing the powers that be we need another compositor.

I really want to go with combustion because of it's tight integration with 3ds max, etc.

thanks for any insights,

Z.

The editing in combustion is for basic editing. Its not designed to be used as a NLE. Its designed for simple cuts and transitions, but if it covers your needs go for it. On a side note you can only cut video in combustion, if the video has an audio track it must be cut in a different package. Otherwise you may want to look at Vegas Video 4 from Sony Pictures Digital. Its about $140 cheaper than Premiere Pro and it doesnt have Adobe's crappy video interface like Premiere/After Effects.

thanks I'll check out vegas. You'er right, playing with the C3 trial i see that i will need a new NLE as well. Or i could stick it out with my prosumer grade Magix Movie Edit Pro 2004 :p

Z.

Whats a "prosumer grade Magix Movie Edit Pro 2004", never heard of that one? Presumably you were looking at Combustion as you needed a compositor. I don't know if you are already using Max to do your animations, but if you are, take a look at the tutorial that deals with using Max with Combustion and vice-versa. I use RPF files for every animation I do now. Persuade "the powers that be" that you will save loads of time using Combustion, then a week later let them know that you now need a NLE too...

I wouldn't use Combustion for editing, I use Premiere for that - even with the crappy interface as it came with the DV bundle.

Jim

MEP 04 is "professional like" home consumer grade NLE from german based magix software.

Pretty powerful for a $99 product, (chroma keying, motion stabilization, audio mixer,etc) blows pinnicale studio and ulead video studio (also home products) out of the water. It's awesome for my home movies, but it can only go so far, It lacks advanced titling, and the mpeg2 encoder could be better.

We're not using max yet, but we will be soon (or the upcoming viz 2005).

So now it's between premeir and vegas. Any others I should look at? Avid?

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Z.

• 2 months later...

follow up:

We went with Sony Vegas 4.0 (now 5.0) and DVD Architect 1.0 (now 2.0) and couldn't happier. I found it very easy to use and very powerful. A free upgrade to vegas 5+DVD was great, and the 5.1 ac3 encoder was icing on the cake.

Thanks for the reccomendation.

BTW, we also just got combustion, havn't had too much time to play yet, but so far it's awesome!!

-Z