"Latest Forum Posts"

Ras

Is it just me or does the "Latest Forum Posts" section of the main page not function the way it did before the site update?

It jused to update whenever someone made aditional posts to an existing thread. Now it only updates when someone makes a new thread. This means that if I want to trace the movements in the forum I have to go to "today´s posts".

Is it meant to be like that? Maybe there is a good reason? I found it easier to keep updated before.

BTW: Aside from this the update is fantastic!

Hi IC - thats a good way to work around it. The forums are of course the main reason to come to CGA but if I was a sponsor I´d prefer people to go through the main page...

It was also nice to be able to see dormant threads pop up again in the "Latest forum posts" if someone added a new post.

I think the monitor funktion of the LFP is not as strong as before - but maybe I´m missing something - there might very well be good reasons...

Am I getting anywhere with this Jeff?

• Administrators

The new forums feed that is output, as far as I know, is as you say formted to only spit out new threads, no replies. I'm going to post a thread on the developer forums to see if this is a feature that can be chaged, but without alot of hacking I have a feeling that it isn't. Woudl it help for me to put a link to today's posts below the forums feed on the main page?

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Thats nice - In some ways this is better than before because you´ll have updates based on two different criteria - new threads and new posts.

But still I must say that personally I´d generally be more interested in the "todays posts" because it will automatically include "Latest forum posts" (which should have its title changed to "Latest forum threads")and probably have a direct link to that page like IC mentioned.

I understand that the system might not be flexible enough to work around this and with all the other benefits there are no worries - but sponsorwise it would be better to switch the two so that "todays posts" would figure on the main page and new threads would be where todays posts are now - I understand that todays posts have too many entrys to appear unrevised on the main page.

Maybe you could have a criteria that would cut what is in "todays posts" now at a certain number of entries and put it on the main page. Then the name "latest foum posts" would be suitable again (now it should be "latest forum THREADS" - a bit confusing). If you feel that you had enough space (width actually) on the main page you could still have a "latest threads" field - maybe they could both contain only five entries but appear on the main page side by side?!?

Actually that would be cool! A thread and a post update in one glance!

Please don´t take this like anything bad - I´m just so happy with this forum and the facelift that I´m noticing little things. I want to let you know that even without any alterations your site is still unmatched.