Waterfall shader

Hi everyone,

I'm starting this thread as a bit of an "UnChallenge"

A few weeks ago I struggled to create a realistic shader for a man made waterfall. It worked all right, but when I later tried to animate the scene, it looked aweful. Good thing I only needed a still :D

In light of Strat's amazing water shaders (which I think created the most popular thread ever on CGA!) I have challenged myself to create a realistic waterfall material and I plan to post the processs here along with the scene files for anyone else who who like to have a go at it. The finished shader will of course be freely distributable. Comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Here are the first two previews.

The basic geometry is a rounded cubic shape, with a curved cap resting on top. The water sheet is a loft nurbs with 3 splines.

The materials are as follows:

Metal Cap: My basic chrome recipe

Concrete base: image map

Water: Colour, transparency, reflection, environment, bump, alpha and specular...many channels have three levels of fusion.

Image of the entire scene following shortly.

comming on nicely. my only comment is it looks too regulaly flat. this is probably down to the fact the water needs to stand out more. it's too transparent and clear at the mo. be interesting to see it animated. nice work so far :)

I worked on it a little more and I'me seeing a few problems. I sort of have some solutions, but would appreciate any critiques.

Below is a sample image to compare notes with.

I think the misty fog should go on a seperate plane rather as an additional layer on the shader. I dont like the way it flutters with the wind. I do like the flutter on the water.

The fog are should be smaller and go lower. Additionally, I really dont like the noise I'm using. The animation should be faster and less dense.

I'm not sure what to do with the water. The shaders in C4D seem severely lacking in this respect. There seems to be only one shader that be animated to flow and it is a very limited shader in all other aspects. I would love to use an SLA noise, but I cant animate them to flow.

The scene file can be found here:

http://www.crucialperception.com/water-fall-tests/test02.zip

and a sample animation here:

http://www.crucialperception.com/water-fall-tests/animate-01.mov

@Frosty

Wow, good work - i like it. I saw a car advertisement one week ago, and there was a waterwall - such a Design waterwall in the area in the background. I wanted to copy exactly the same something in C4D. Now you helped me still another large step - I will refine it. THX and big respect.

-Elena

klww07.jpg

2-4-10_ar.jpg

wasserwand-2-3er.jpg

wasserwand-doppel.jpg

No updates, trying to get a bunch done on my architectural thesis :D gotta finish school.

Elena's second photo (metal with people) is very close to what I was trying to create. Now that I see that picture, I can see that my bumps and alphas were orientated incorrectly.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
I'm at work right now but I'll post what I have for you this evening.

Hi Frosty,

I am new to this forum and was looking for a waterfall tutorial; I tried to download your waterfall test file for inspiration but found the file to be unavailable; any chance of uploading it again? Many thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...