How can I correct fisheye distortion

Brian Cassil

I'll take that to mean a photograph.

I use a product from www.andromeda.com called LensDoc to correct barrel distortion and keystoning (aka perspective correction lens...see long-winded thread in MAX area) from digital photos. I say digital because my Nikon film camera with a wide-angle Nikon lens takes pictures that are flat and perfect, but my Nikon 995 digital at its wide setting, or especially with the add-on wide-angle lens, has very noticeable barrel distortion.

I wonder if LensDoc (about US$95) will remove fisheye distortion, that's may be too severe. Can you post one?

• Administrators

Ernest,

This ebook meant for the 995 has about 300-400 PS filters especially designed for the 995. Including automatic barrel distoration corection

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/nikon.html

Also check out this tut http://www.cgtechniques.com/lightbox/tutorials/fisheyepano/index.php if dscribes how to flatten out fisheye pics. Also for the 995, but should work with any camera.

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry I wasn't very clear about what I was asking. I was talking about a digital camera with a fisheye lens. (Ernest and Jeff, you guys even guessed the right one!) I actually figured out how to correct the barrel distortion using a free set of plugins and filters called panotools by Helmut Dersch. It worked great but I'm definetly interested in the 300+ filters and a bunch of tips with that ebook you mentioned Jeff. I was wondering if you purchased that and if you have been satisfied with the filters and tips it provides. I'm getting more and more into photography so it would be nice to know what you thought.

btw, Ernest, I did read that thread on perspective correction, or distortion, or the bending of the minds eye, or whatever. Interesting to see a couple of heavy hitters in the buisness so passionatly defend what they believe. All I can say is that I respect both yours and Chris's work.

• Administrators

Hey Brian,

If you have a Nikon Digicam then this disk is definetyl worth it. On DPreview.com it get raves reviews all the time. If you are an experienced photographer and really understand photography inside and out, then it may not be as good. But for somebody like me who has a good understanding, but wants to get better, it was great! The actions are pretty good too, but I have not had a chance to test them all. Nothing you could not do in PS yourself, but it does automate the process. They are all PS actions. I guess I should have been clear about that. They are not filters. It is good because they talk about tweak and tips specific to Nikon Digicams.

WHich one do you have? I swear that EVERYONE has a 995. At SIGGRPAH there were numerous occasions that I saw 4 or 5 995 on the table. Perapsh you saw that too. ;)

another thread worth its weight in gold. (How much does a thread weigh, anyway)? I will look into all the references.

I will add that the LensDoc filter can be calibrated to your specific camera/lens and corrects barrel/pincushion distortion,perspective tilt (one axis at a time though) and rotation, all in ONE pass, so you have less pixel death.

The Pano tools are an amazing package that I have yet to get much into, a new frontend would help a lot. I use its pano viewer for Lightscape-generated panos.

Originally posted by Jeff Mottle:

Ernest,

Also check out this tut http://www.cgtechniques.com/lightbox/tutorials/fisheyepano/index.php if dscribes how to flatten out fisheye pics. Also for the 995, but should work with any camera.

jeff, this works only on vertical fisheye images, but not on horizontal fishies.

The reason is, that a horizontal fisheye have two additonal heading and banking angel.

have a look at this tutorial about the use of the panotools:

http://www.cgtechniques.com/tutorials/makepano.php

you can use this software also to flatten one fisheye image

[ October 17, 2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: seismograph ]