3dTotal site attacked....

Hey!

the site 3DTotal.com was recently attacked by some a-holes who (for whatever reason) tried to shut it down permanently. It wasnt just some kind of internet hacker thing, they actually went to the 3dtotal office and destroyed alot of stuff physically.

a quote from their site:

"It was when we returned to the studio we really discovered what had happened. People had actually been there whilst we were away, all computers files had been deleted from internal and external backup drives, then power leads to the hard dives and then snapped off (breaking the pins) and possibly worst of all, all of our back-up CDs had been covered in super glue to render them useless."

read more over at http://www.3dtotal.com

They managed to save most of the sites contents, but its pretty serious anyways...

so... is the CGArchitect servers or backup-files protected in any way? I mean... personally I find it very hard to believe that anyone would want to kill this great site, but apparently you can never be sure....

//

Kalle

Hey!

the site 3DTotal.com was recently attacked

I happened upon that news this weekend while searching for some models. It's not a site I normally visit.

I am puzzled as to what motive anyone could have for such an act. To not steal computers but instead destroy them, destroy backups? That's a pretty drastic way to delete a post you are not proud of on someones BBS. I hope they catch the guilty parties, but more importantly learn the reason for the attack.

Thats sucks,

Cyber terrorists operating out of the 'box'?

Guess in the effort to maintain high internet security they forgot about the value of physical security to thier offices. Damn a cheap alarm system might have helped minimize the damages.

What a malicious statement, 8 screws and the HDs could have been junk verses snapping pins.

• Administrators

so... is the CGArchitect servers or backup-files protected in any way? I mean... personally I find it very hard to believe that anyone would want to kill this great site, but apparently you can never be sure....

Yeah I was quite surprised at this too. Very unfourtunate, but seems to be also like an inside job.

To answer you question about CGA, our server is hosted at a remote facility and is backed up daily. The company that hosts our server has an RCMP station in the building. (For those non-Canadians that is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, who are responsible or all rural policing and enfocing all federal laws and protection of the Prime-Minister etc etc.) In other words unless one of their empoyees decided to destroy the server, we are safe. As far as protection for hacking, nothing is 100% if there is a security hole to take advantage of, but the server itself always kept up to date and is protected by hardware firewall that will only allow me though. Our webhost provides services for some of the biggest companies in the world, so they are pretty particular about security and how they run things: http://www.alentus.com/about/customers.asp

"our server is hosted at a remote facility and is backed up daily. The company that hosts our server has an RCMP station in the building. (For those non-Canadians that is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, who are responsible or all rural policing and enfocing all federal laws and protection of the Prime-Minister etc etc.) In other words unless one of their empoyees decided to destroy the server, we are safe"

sounds safe enough =) thanks for your answer....

//kalle

I am puzzled as to what motive anyone could have for such an act. To not steal computers but instead destroy them, destroy backups?

Well, heres my options:

a- Some kinda of "anti-technology-globalization-hardcore-greenpeace-unabomber" type of moron.

b-Some really freaky-angry-nuts exgirlfriend of thw owner (or boyfriend...)

c- Some angry ex employee......really , really, reeeeeeally angry.......and wacko.

e- Enyone witha personal vendetta against the owner.

d- Stupid teenagers, probably under the influence (but not necesarily)

f- regular morons.

My votes goes for either D or F.

Well, heres my options:

a- Some kinda of "anti-technology-globalization-hardcore-greenpeace-unabomber" type of moron.

b-Some really freaky-angry-nuts exgirlfriend of thw owner (or boyfriend...)

c- Some angry ex employee......really , really, reeeeeeally angry.......and wacko.

e- Enyone witha personal vendetta against the owner.

d- Stupid teenagers, probably under the influence (but not necesarily)

f- regular morons.

My votes goes for either D or F.

I don't think so.

a- a minor 3D site is not a very good target for tree-huggers. Better to throw paint on the owners SUV.

b- ex-girlfriend, well, that could be, but you would expect an arrest by now. That'a a really obvious suspect. Besides, she would more likely throw paint on the owner's new girlfriend's SUV.

c- same as above, except more likely to actually know what to destroy. But again, extremely easy to find by Police. Do you really believe this minor 3D site actually has employees? (Much less girlfriends).

d- by the way--d comes before e-- how many teenagers do you know that know how to destroy all back-ups to a website? What are you doing hanging out with these dangerous youths?

e- same as b and c, easy to find. Very few people carry secret, hidden vendettas. They usually make sure the future victim is well aware that they are mad. They make lists, leave those list lying around for police to find in their basement apartments. Sometimes with the remains of someone else's ex-girlfriend, but that is a different type of bad person.

F- regular morons do not know how to break in to an office, find and destroy all CDs and hard-drives and leave no trace of their identities--remember--they are morons.

I think we need a g-

The more I think about it... What a malicious statement, 8 screws and the HDs could have been junk verses snapping pins.... salvagable data. The CDs almost look "artistic" in the manner in which they were assembled. They got back up and running, don't think it would have taken much to totally shut them down, once in the offices. It does not add up:confused: .

I would tend toward a very malicoius prank - in the blackest and mean spirited sense. Maybe something on the line of the pranks on "Cheers" gone bad, very bad! You never ever mess with somebodies tools or lively hood, thats just plain mean.

Something to think about

WDA

"I think we need a g-"

I agree with wda that everything seems to be destroyed in a little too perfect and stylish manner.

If a couple of teenagers (especially if high) had broken into this office, I doubt they would have "snapped the pins off the harddrives" - They wouldve gone nuts with a sledghammer or something.

anyways... They got allmost all of their hardware smashed in one way or another, but managed to save allmost all of the sites contents.... soooo... is there any way that this is just a big massive insurance-scam????

OR... maybe the whole "break in story" is just a big cover up for a company party gone bad? really bad.....

• 3 weeks later...
Do you really believe this minor 3D site actually has employees? (Much less girlfriends).

that's the funniest thing I've read all day Ernest, thanks for that!!!! :-)

I'm realy intrigued as to the who and why... 3Dtotal is one the few websites that I read on a daily basis. Hope they catch whoever it was.