Is there a cheap way of buying 3D Studio Max

Sketchrender

Nic

philip does not have a demo he uses 3ds max for his job as he said " he cannot afford max because he has a family and other stuff he has to pay for" we all gave him some options but he is stuck because he cannot affodrd 3ds max and getting old he does not want to change lol

Edited by datacrasher

if there was an option of ....

1)not being able to eat

2)using an illegitimate 3dmax

what would you pick?

or

3)learning a new software

Every one of the routes one could take in this situation will cost something:

Buying Max outright costs a lot monitarily, period. Downloading and using Max illegally could cost a lot legally, and if it bothers your conscience, then morally as well. Learning a different software will cost you time in learning it, but doesn't have to cost much monitarily.

You have options in all three, but the biggest dependancy is on what you have that you are willing to sacrifice.

I think a purchase of max is easy to justify if you have work coming or reliable clients waiting in the wings. But to buy it when other (much) cheaper software is just as capable for arch-vis work (and frankly is much easier to learn) when you dont have work lined up is maybe a bit reckless. Using illegal versions is extremely frowned upon on this forum, but rumours abound concerning the source of these hacked copies. The alleged business model of Autodesk releasing the illegal ones like a smack dealer giving out samples is one argument to sooth your conscience should you go that route. I wont condone it, but there must be a hefty proportion of users that at least started out on pirate software.

If I was simply going to pick the software that I want to work with I might choose Lightwave and Vray. It has been awhile since I used Lightwave but the one thing I remember about it was that it could handle high poly scenes like they were light weight. Which means you can work fast and lean. Also, if I remember right, their file formats were quite open, not the case for Max.

I think a seat of Lightwave is under $1000. I am not sure if they actually make Vray for Lightwave, but I think it is out there. Probably not as robust as the Max version though.

To be perfectly honest, right now I'd try to get a project, then do it with the demo version of Max, and buy it if work becomes steady. I don't know if that's kosher but at this point in your career I don't think it's reasonable to buy $4000 in software unless you're reasonably confident it's going to pay for itself.