I would like to work for FREE....not! [LONG]

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

I thought I would post this as I thought is was so damn FUNNY! I was sent a link to a potential rendering job..this is how is goes:

The call for help can be read here:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/nyc/med/6240870.html

I sent an email soliciting my services. I did not mention price, just an interest and a link to my portfolio. This is the reply I got:

Hi,

After reviewing your email, I would like to try you out to be one of Designer Drafting's artists. I have something that I need to try by tomorrow morning.

I have a project that I would like to produce 3 definite renderings, possibly 4. I think that if you do one as a trial, I can contract you to do the other 2-3. Please let me know timeframe and price. If you would still like to be considered for future work, I would like to see what you can do with this project.

If you are only capable of doing one part of the rendering, either the black line or the hand color, not computer color, then let me know.

I have posted all of the information here: www.designerdrafting.com/jobs.htm

You will need to review the files ASAP, and get any questions to me by tonight. I need a sample by the morning.

The scope of the job is a residence that is proposing to finish the attic space into an entertainment area.

This will consist of a long hallway with paneled walls and bumped out shadow boxes for sports memorabilia (trophies and such) to be displayed. Show the doors to be open if possible so that you don't have to detail them.

Once you walk down the hall you come into a lounging area with 2 sofas, 2 wing chairs and a couple of tables of which I have examples posted. The circular coffee table is a stuffed fabric ottoman (like you put your feet on). Notice that all of the ceilings have eaves extending down into the space.

The lounge area will have a new wall erected in order to house media equipment (plasma TV, 2-31" TV's and some stereo equipment).

On the back side of this wall a bar will be constructed with another flat screen TV and open shelves (the hand sketch is accurate, the color photo is just meant to draw the detail).

In this same room a mini (4'x8') pool table will be placed. See photo.

Again, all walls have custom panels and all floors are hard wood. The walls are a medium wood color and the floors are a little darker but would not be considered dark. I can get color samples tomorrow morning of the wood.

Please embellish where necessary (trophies in the shadow boxes, lighting, make sure the rugs are placed as drawn, wooden tray on ottoman, candles, pool stick holder, wine glasses, bottles etc)

I need to approve your trial by the morning in order to continue on with this project.

The view angle for the perspectives are denoted by arrows.

See the link for examples of what level of line drawing and color I am looking for.

www.designerdrafting.com/jobs.htm

So firt off I think she is WAY off base for asking to do work for free, nevermind overnight. Never the less I send her my quote and tell her that I don't do free work etc.

This is the reply I get:

This is just a concept....dont worry about it...

Sorry I just had to share this. I thougt is was RIDICULOUSLY funny and completely insulting.

Some people

Hi Jeff,

overall this is a great concept. If a client needs four pictures he just contacts four artists to make one picture for free and if its what they like the artist gets the job for the other three pictures; sadly the other pictures were done than by three other artists ;) Very creative concept.

ingo

www.im-graphics.com

I wonder how many years it will take before people stop expecting computer based stuff for free.

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten "game" emails and such asking for work. Ask for pay and they disappear. I think the golden rule of thumb with asking for money upfront is pretty much the smartest thing to do these days. (At least a % upfront).

People actually get insulted if I don't personally attend to their computer problems via email.

OMG, LOL!

Either this person is a crook or was drinking heavily while typing up this request. :???:

I’d like to give the benefit of doubt to people and not believe that the reality of the situation is that some people are really this ignorant. :D

Originally posted by Greg Hess:

I think the golden rule of thumb with asking for money upfront is pretty much the smartest thing to do these days.

Yes, asking for a retainer up front certainly weeds out the tire kickers.

I wonder how many years it will take before people stop expecting computer based stuff for free.
I noticed the webpage has images categorised as 'Artist Color Renderings' and 'Computer Color Renderings'. I would like to see a computer colour something without the artist giving instruction.

If I was to do a manual line drawing and do a paint over in Painter or Photoshop, which category would that go in?

I think this person is just plain ignorant.

[ October 18, 2002, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: kid ]

This whole thing reminds me slightly of an experience I had some years ago.

A former employer of mine was designing a food kiosk (it is because of that type of work that they are FORMER employers) of which they wanted some 3d renderings of. So what I did was render the kiosk and all the little juice mixers and registers and things seperatly so that I could create layers that could be easily turned on and off. I showed my boss who thought that was all really cool and then asked me to "tell the computer to turn off the counter top now". For the next 20 minutes I tried in vain to explain the process of what I had done and that such a request would take some time to accomplish. He must have thought that I had been goofing off for the last day and a half if that would have been such an easy task.

Greg said it best: Insulting.

• Administrators

LOL! I'm glad everyone got a kick out of this. I forgot to mention that I got the email at 8PM. So let's see usually people start work at 8am so if I didn't sleep I would have 12 hours. I wonder what goes through people's heads when they do stuff like this.

I really hope nobody actually DOES work for her. Maybe she has special deals for FT staff too. If you don't sleep this week I'll give you the change in my pocket.LOL. Anyways..

hi There

Jeff and All

i once had a Client who wanted me to do a up-front" donation to make a 3d Perspective of a 44 story Hotel Proposal in Las Vegas (Lost Wages) NV.

$247 Million construction and he wants a pretty picture for Free.

i finally told This former Client, that

"if you cant afford to Pay me, then i cant afford to work for you"

i ask for 50% down up-front or if they dont like that then i ask for 100% up-front.

again,

"if you are NOT going to Pay me, then i am NOT going to work for you".

They either pay or NOT, either way works fine for me.

my www.viz2000.com presently has a "new" opening, that says:

"Your Place or Mine? will work for Food."

after all of These Years of working for Peanuts, i finally decided that i like the salted kind better.

Thanks

vizwhiz :rolleyes::mad::(redface2.gif :???: