Onyx and iray

theo@3drealism.com

If they are collapsed to a mesh then I dont see a reason why they wouldn't work. Proxies are supposed to work, however they are not as memory efficient as with mentalray. GPU rendering might be an issue as the whole scene must fit within the GPU memory, otherwise you'll be restricked to CPU rendering, which will be slower.

I havn't tested to see if cutout maps work with iray, so you might be restricted to opacity maps for the leaves, or even plain geometry

jhv

I have been doing a lot with iray and using onyx in interior scenes... but nothing exterior, Mental Ray is still superior when it comes to packing millions of polys into a scene. You would have to have one hell of a set up to render large exterior scenes with iray...

for interior scenes, the iray works great and I haven't noticed much difficulty with iray handling the meshes exported from onyx.

• 4 months later...

Hello! I am new to the forum. When I try to use the Onyx trees in iRay they render without any applied materials. Could you please share with me the steps I need to take to get the Onyx trees to work with iRay? I have already contacted Onyx support. They are very friendly, but do not have subscription and therefore do not have iRay.

Best regards,

Brian