Light Bleed problem with Transparent/Translucent materials

Zisteau

Hey guys, I've been having this problem with lighting my scene, and its really driving me nuts. It seems like no matter what option I adjust, be it render options, light options, or material options, I get this bad light bleeding affect around the edges of my windows/panels. Same effect with vraySun, directional light, and rectangular light. When I turn off lights and just use GI everything looks perfect, except I want to see the sun coming in the window and the affect of sunlight hitting the translucent panels.

I'm using the gamma 2.2, IRR primary, LC secondary rendering setting that is very common. No options seem to reduce it. I've tried upping the samples, subdivs, minrates, maxrates, etc. I can post more information if needed, it seems like this is probably something really simple I'm missing.

this looks pretty much like spaces in geometry to me, which allow for external light to bleed in throught he openings. Try adjusting window closer to wall or maybe even push it a couple of milimeters inside just to make sure.

Also check the caustics and sun angle, might be just sun at high enough angle ? particulary the white spot below the stairs points to that possibility.

So I made a test 3d model, a series of square panels in a room with light coming in transparent surfaces and got zero errors. It seems my geometry is corrupt in my model. I've tried moving the glass geometry so it overlaps the panels and it doesn't change anything. The wall and the panels all have a slight curve to them, I formed them using boolean difference, which from reading around is a bad idea. Looks like I'll be using GI and interior lights only for this project.

yeah first rule about booleans; dont use them unless you absolutely have to, they just tend to create a confused geometry with possible errors, and when you do have to use them it's often neccessary to check the model closely and fix errors in geometry

• 2 weeks later...