Best way to go from 3ds Max to SketchUp?

Brodie Geers

Hello this is my first post. After googling a lot, downloading a lot of plugins and taking millions of approaches, the best results I get (I think it could't be better) is doing the folowing:

open 3ds max (.max) file in 3ds max select all you need to export and explode any groups.

Then convert all to editable meshes or editable polys, reset xform, and center pivots to objects (not really sure if necessary)

Export as dwg version 2007, open the file in autocad and save as dwg again selecting version 2007

Now import the last saved dwg file in max, when options windows appear select "entity" under "derive autocad primitives by", and "generate maping coordinates for each object" under geometry option (this is wath I think makes the trick...)

Then export as 3ds and import in sketchup as usual.

Please note that when the model is complex it could seem like sketchup freezes but just be patient and wait until the cross cursor appears, make a click and wait again until geometry appears.

Result: each entity is defined as group as you would expect in a sketchup model. with nice and clean faces.

Hope this helps someone to avoid the nightmare I´ve been through jejej

Your first post is a BOMB!

Great workflow!

Following up post #25:

Installed OpenCollada plugin. Exported selected objects in my model. Opened a fresh SU file:

-Position of all objects was correct.

-Materials present (no bitmaps, but I checked off "Copy image" in the OpenCollada export dialog).

-All the model came as one group. Inside it, all the pieces could be selected individually by triple clicking even if they were touching (weird).

-Re-creating each group is necessary (buuuaaaaa!!!)

No happy altogether method yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Hello this is my first post. After googling a lot, downloading a lot of plugins and taking millions of approaches, the best results I get (I think it could't be better) is doing the folowing:

open 3ds max (.max) file in 3ds max select all you need to export and explode any groups.

Then convert all to editable meshes or editable polys, reset xform, and center pivots to objects (not really sure if necessary)

Export as dwg version 2007, open the file in autocad and save as dwg again selecting version 2007

Now import the last saved dwg file in max, when options windows appear select "entity" under "derive autocad primitives by", and "generate maping coordinates for each object" under geometry option (this is wath I think makes the trick...)

Then export as 3ds and import in sketchup as usual.

Please note that when the model is complex it could seem like sketchup freezes but just be patient and wait until the cross cursor appears, make a click and wait again until geometry appears.

Result: each entity is defined as group as you would expect in a sketchup model. with nice and clean faces.

Hope this helps someone to avoid the nightmare I´ve been through jejej

I've started following this method and it works really well. One thing I have added to the process is this: prior to exporting from 3Ds Max, instance your entire model. Once the model is in CAD you can delete the clone. When you import into Sketchup all of your individual objects will be components which makes editing way easier.

What's happening here is that the DWG export converts instances to blocks and SketchUp reads blocks as components.

• 5 months later...
FluidRay Importer works like a charm for me. materials come in nice and clean and the importer is a lot faster than TIGs for sure. $29 is a decent price too.

http://www.fluidray.com/

This method seems to work well, however, I can't seem to import the obj file without having some odd smoothing gradients applied to the surfaces in skp. I have tried every export option possible from the max side, but I can't seem to get rid of the smoothing/shading. See image below with what is supposed to be simple shelves at 90 degree corners. No radius, or smooth corners. Any suggestions?

smoothing_zps5irwvf9c.jpg

Edited by Timothy Saunders