Ifc import in max?

Jon Berntsen

Hi

Tried a quick search on "ifc", but got 0 matches!? Isn't that the coming standard BIM format?

Anyway, do anybody know of a plugin that enables ifc import and export into/from 3d studio max? Surprisingly few matches on these search terms on google as well.

In advance, thanks for any answers!

Hi Isn't that the coming standard BIM format?

3dsMax is not a BIM software, that's just geometry. I guess you would need to open that in Revit or Autocad (Autocad Architecture), and from there export as an FBX, DWG, OBJ or your prefered model format.

For the few matches on Google, I do understand that it is quite a new format.. mabee it will be more popular in a few years.

Ok, thanks. I got what I wanted. I opened the ifc's (5 pcs) in ArchiCad , then exported them to .3ds and into max. With the same coordinates in the ifc files, there were no problem in merging them at the correct coordinates. :)

But I still find it hard to believe that this workflow, (as I know, Autodesk haven't got any further with their technical drawing solutions) is optimal for the future. There's a need for ifc import in 3d studio max (and the other huge 3d software solutions). We don't need the smart object functions and the data connected to them, but we surely need the 3d imported quickly with just one program. Why should I need a license for Archicad for working with ifc in max, is my way of thinking.

• 1 year later...