Hi (no imaginative title unfortunately)

RyanS

Hi, decided to join as I am breaking into some work doing 3-D visualisation. I've been modelling and rendering for about five years as a hobby and have skills in Maya, 3DS Max mental ray and VRay. I'm presently doing some market research into the industry and building a website for my freelance business.

I'm going to start out doing visualisations for product design/packaging design but would like to build a portfolio of architectural renderings at some stage. I also have a certificate in desktop publishing so I could also produce brochures and marketing material for clients.

I am starting out with product rendering as I believe my skills are in that area, but can also be well suited to architectural.

I don't know if I have the wrong impression of the industry, but is the role of the architect starting to become also that of visualisation artist? with software such as 3ds max you can import architectural CAD ( which an architect or architecture firm has created?) apply materials and render? is there still a role for someone who is a 3D artist and not an architect? perhaps architects don't have the time or skills to produce the visualisation so they outsource?

Those questions would help me to determine which markets I need to research and industries of my potential customers. a problem I'm having is that there are resources for market research, but the industry and job descriptions are often categorised by profession ( architect, engineer, interior designer etc), '3D visualisation artist' doesn't appear to be a profession per se, it is too wide and varied ( entertainment media, marketing, advertising etc)..

anyway I just thought I would introduce myself

Ryan