rendering

BuenaHomes

pardon me, but I'm a general contractor trying to understand all the architect's lingo, one term I have problem understanding is " rendering" i seen this word been used in different forms and situations, there are drawings where the image look like more a cartoon than a realistic image of a subject and still been called rendering, in another cases very sharp nice realistic image of a subject also is called rendering?

anyone can show me a rendered image?

thank you

In my case, as a SketchUp user, I distinguish between a straight export of a SketchUp image (which is "technically" a rendering given the above definition, but I don't call it a rendering). I wouldn't call it a rendering until it was manipulated with some other software. For example Vray, Maxwell, Mental Ray, etc. are all "rendering" softwares which take that basic 3d model (a SketchUp model in my case) and will apply mathmatical calculations to it to give the appearance of light, reflections, etc. Or, in a more technical sense (although it's less commonly referred to as rendering nowadays) one could manipulate it with Photoshop to apply these various effects by hand along with other more artistic filters and such - that would still be a rendering in the same sense that a painting is a rendering of a scene. But again, usually when people on these forums talk about 'rendering' they're talking about the first case where you're using a software to apply light and such.

-Brodie

In my case, as a SketchUp user, I distinguish between a straight export of a SketchUp image (which is "technically" a rendering given the above definition, but I don't call it a rendering). I wouldn't call it a rendering until it was manipulated with some other software. For example Vray, Maxwell, Mental Ray, etc. are all "rendering" softwares which take that basic 3d model (a SketchUp model in my case) and will apply mathmatical calculations to it to give the appearance of light, reflections, etc. Or, in a more technical sense (although it's less commonly referred to as rendering nowadays) one could manipulate it with Photoshop to apply these various effects by hand along with other more artistic filters and such - that would still be a rendering in the same sense that a painting is a rendering of a scene. But again, usually when people on these forums talk about 'rendering' they're talking about the first case where you're using a software to apply light and such.

-Brodie

I use very much softplan for doing my residential designs and when I'm in 3D mode the software creates a 3D drawing from a 2D floor plan so I can "bird view" from any angle desired, this is what's called "rendering" in this specific software, but I did read from architects that "rendering" pointing to something very different than what I experienced, thus confusing me in understanding what's what.

Jose.. according to dictionary, "rendering" means:

1. A depiction or interpretation, as in painting or music

2. A drawing in perspective of a proposed structure.

So a rendering CAN be hand drawn or as in the case of most of this website's users, CG, which stands for computer graphics. In other words, the architectural "renderings" or Illustrations, however you want to call them, on this board were done with a computer, instead of by hand. But that doesn't mean that hand renderings are not "renderings".