Industry-standard techniques / general advice for starting out

danshewan

So, as I stated in my introduction thread, I'm very comfortable modeling using both Maya and 3ds Max, which is my current application of choice. I can work quickly and efficiently using polygonal and subdivision modeling techniques, but I'm wondering how much NURBS modeling is used in professional arch-viz work.

Would a lack of knowledge of NURBS be considered a disadvantage to someone looking to develop a portfolio of architectural renders? Aside from 3ds Max, mental ray and Photoshop, are there any other non-CAD applications that I should be looking to invest in? Are high-resolution stills acceptable as portfolio pieces, or are studios looking for fully composited animated sequences, given the present economical climate? Or does this vary by role / position?

Apologies for the deluge of questions, but it seems that portfolio expectations and software / general skill requirements are easier to research for careers in the entertainment industries.

Any advice for someone new to the arch-viz field and any other standard expectations for someone seeking to enter the visualization industry would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Would a lack of knowledge of NURBS be considered a disadvantage to someone looking to develop a portfolio of architectural renders?

Doesn’t matter - if it gets the job done then all the better. If you are fitting into a pipeline, then you may need to adjust to that studios work flow.

Aside from 3ds Max, mental ray and Photoshop, are there any other non-CAD applications that I should be looking to invest in?

VRAY? But there are lots of other bits of software that you pick up as you go along.

Are high-resolution stills acceptable as portfolio pieces, or are studios looking for fully composited animated sequences, given the present economical climate? Or does this vary by role / position?

Doesn’t matter as long as they are good images, resolution is negligible - A4/A3 prints or a decent digital pixel size (that’s still emailable). Animation and Illustration are two distinct arts, being able to do both would definitely boost your CV.