Neutra 1947 House

Paul Shewan

1292275160.jpg

Studio/Institution: Unemployed
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: 3DS Max 2011
Description:

Hi, I've recently been made redundant after working 8 years as a vehicle artist in Video Games and thought I'd use my time off learning how to render in Max. I've always loved modern architecture & design so I thought I'd have a go at making something simple while learning how to use the tools. much of the scene has improved and won't be fully populated with foliage & furniture for a while but I'd appreciate any feedback. Unfortunately I had to Photoshop the pool caustics as Max throws up an error message when rendering with caustics enabled. Thanks

Edited by Paul Shewan

i was just visiting this house the other day....one of my all-time favorites.

you've really done well to capture the light and surrounding environment of palm springs, and the house is very well done in terms of form and materials. probably the only thing that stands out for me is the planter and rocks in the foreground by the pool - otherwise very nice work.

just being picky, but i'd refer to it as the kaufmann desert house, and it was built in 1946. you might want to try a view from the southwest corner on the street (vista chino), where you would see the the rock garden, gate and entrance side.

i was actually visiting the next door neighbour - love the mid-century vibe of palm springs.

Looks great. Was wondering if you were using MR for these renders. If so, you might be getting that caustics message b/c the emitter or material's object properties are not set to cast/receive caustics (cast for the emitter/receive for the water).

Wow, I'm so jealous, you've actually experienced the 'feeling' of the property. I shall start saving the Max files as 'Kaufmann desert house' from now on. Well spotted with the bad rocks and mutant vegetable plants, the rocks have improved massively and the plants were dug up and burnt in case they spread to other foliage : ) I'd love to see a proper street view, I have some images taken from outside but not much to go on. I'm going to do some interior and dusk stuff later, I'm trying to furnish the house but it's hard to keep the 1946 finishes and go more modern with it.

Thanks for your input.

Wow, I'm so jealous, you've actually experienced the 'feeling' of the property. I shall start saving the Max files as 'Kaufmann desert house' from now on. Well spotted with the bad rocks and mutant vegetable plants, the rocks have improved massively and the plants were dug up and burnt in case they spread to other foliage : ) I'd love to see a proper street view, I have some images taken from outside but not much to go on. I'm going to do some interior and dusk stuff later, I'm trying to furnish the house but it's hard to keep the 1946 finishes and go more modern with it.

Thanks for your input.

good article (and photos) of the house here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/31/arts/design/31hous.html?_r=1

this book is a bar-goon (amazon canada)....

http://www.amazon.ca/Neutra-Complete-Works-Barbara-Lamprecht/dp/3836512440/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292366002&sr=8-1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Cataco, thanks for the links. It's interesting seeing someone else's version of the house. I'm pleased to see that mine is more accurate : ) With all the images I found on the web and those that have been sent to me I've got a really solid ref collection. I've been working on my website recently so haven't done much on the house but the website is coming along nicely so here's some of my other stuff....... http://paulshewan.com/ No environments yet until I finish the gardening and furnishing.

Kind regards Paul

paul's model and renderings are way better than that evermotion one.

Hi, Paul.

You can find a very good reference model/image in Evermotion's Archexteriors Vol. 5, scene N° 8, and you can download the PDF @ http://www.evermotion.org/modelshop/show_product/archexteriors-vol-5/29/0/0/

By the way, I'd love to see some of your cars.

Good luck and happy new year.

Thanks Dude, it's the Standard MR Arch & Design material with a nice bump map, would you like the material settings & bump map? The image I posted has them faked in Photoshop and it shows as they're horribly warped on the right side of the pool. The caustics are now on the pool wall texture which looks way better. I'd like to have them working properly but I can't have caustics enables as it throws up a problem with no photon emitter, I can't figure it out. Check out this tutorial though...... http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/2007/06/nice-water-with-miamaterial-arch.html

Thanks Dude, it's the Standard MR Arch & Design material with a nice bump map, would you like the material settings & bump map? The image I posted has them faked in Photoshop and it shows as they're horribly warped on the right side of the pool. The caustics are now on the pool wall texture which looks way better. I'd like to have them working properly but I can't have caustics enables as it throws up a problem with no photon emitter, I can't figure it out. Check out this tutorial though...... http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/2007/06/nice-water-with-miamaterial-arch.html

Thanks for the tutorial man. And hope to see some more of your works in the future.

Cheers.:)