Anyone watch the 3dsMax Webinar today? ..should I stick around for it?

Crazy Homeless Guy

I had it on in the background. It seemed to be mainly about the future development of Max. Interface changes, improved tools, better viewport experience, etc. They are trying to bring some logic to the way you interact whilst not pissing off experienced users! Rather high level plans and ideas discussed, but nothing really specific. Lots of polls to gauge your interest in different areas too.

Worth catching if you are interested in the long term development of the software.

I think the new interface will be a nice touch. I mean, staring at the same screen all day long should be, at least, easy on the eyes...

But I think I'm most interested in the simulation stuff (templates, thank you very much) and viewport rendering. Ken also mentioned they're working with Chaos to make the RT experience better. Let's see where it goes.

As I said after the first webinar, months ago, I can't help congratulating Ken and the rest of the staff. They really seem to be in synch with the user base (the "Uncle Bob's garage" example was spot on!), and I feel confident that Max is in really good hands.

In honesty I was being a bit facetious in regards to the interface. I was referencing the hand drawn looking black and white interface layout they showed. The one that might have been a flash document outlining how the interface might work.

I think conceptually the ideas and improvements coming from the Max team are and have been strong. The part I have been bearish on is the real world use of the changes being made.

Take the Slate material editor for example... how many people here are able to use this successfully in their work flow? The concept of a node based editor rocks, and I believe its usefulness would easily be proven. But unfortunately the actual time it takes to load the textures makes it unusable for us. We have to disable it if we are going to meet production schedules, and work fluently and efficiently. I find that unfortunate.

Maybe my network and system are what are causing the problems with Slate, but my gut tells me it is not. I haven't really heard of anyone really using it successfully, and the reason is due to the lag. It is fast if you turn off the previews, but not having a visual of the material creates a new set of problems.

I feel there is a disconnect between how the product functions in the field, and how it functions in the development environment. It is also the area where I think the combative conversation break out, and ultimately it gets labeled as 'haters going to hate.'

So, when I hear that there are going to be more development around node based items using the Slate technology a flag immediately pops up because I am having such a slow down in production if I use the current Slate material editor. Maybe those problems will be solved when using this technology in a different way, because it may not require pulling networked textures. Only time will tell.

The thing is, I think most of us are typically thinking 4,5 or 6 moves ahead in Max when we are working on a project. Even a second or half second slow down in the work can disrupt the thought process causing slight delays in production.... which I find frustrating.

So at the end of the day everything in concept sounds great, I am going to try and hold judgment until I actually have a product in my hands, and can test its efficiency in a daily work flow.

I think a new, more friendly interface is a must. I mean, when I opened modo for the first time, I felt really jealous. It's intuitive (at least for me), good looking and professional looking. 3ds max has been the same for ages, and a breath of fresh air is, imo, more than welcome. I'm still not sure about the tab thing, but I'd love to see something new. Right now, it just feels cluttered, with every new tool being inserted there somewhere.

The node based workflow is another point. A few people complained about it during the session, but on the other hand, node based tools have worked pretty well in other packages (XSI comes to mind). Heck, even Particle Flow works. Don't see why it couldn't work in Max in the near future.

As a teacher, I feel Max's complexity in a daily basis. My students feel intimidated by the tool, and things that are second nature to us are a nightmare to achieve for them. Anything that takes the tool out of the way and lets the artist in control would be more than welcome. And it sounds like that's what they're after.

For me, what matters most is not how the things are going to change. I'm far more interested in the fact that things ARE going to change at some point, and that those changes are being carefully thought. Right or wrong, they are taking the time to ask us what we think and respond to that at some level.

That's where I am trying to proceed carefully in my comments. I would love to see a more dynamic fluid approach and working environment. My concern is always with work flow and speed. As long as speed of the interface and tools are highly tested in a variety of environments, and put at the forefront of any development, then I have no problems with adapting and moving forward with working methods.