onyx and instancing

Daniel Doerksen

hey guys i just started using onyx for my trees in 3ds max 2010 with vray2.0 and tree storm. when i throw about 6 trees in my scene and instance them to about a total of 25 trees. And start my render max sits around and transforms vertices for a few minutes. and if i cancel the render max usually crashes, basically overall creating a unworkable environment.

Is there sometihng im doing wrong here. my computer is quite good i7 950 12gigs ram etc.

im trying to switch over to my scenes being fully 3d, having a decent amount of 2mill trees is in a scene is common isnt it?

I did this just over a year ago so the details are fuzzy.

Machine is older. P4, 2 Gig. 32 bit.

Machine could not handle that many trees by itself, I'm sure. I think this is only one tree using MR proxies. I recall that working with it to set up the shot was tolerable and render times weren't too bad. There is evidence of this in the light location just glinting some leaves and that I bothered to chuck in a teapot.

Ah, you are using instances. That's a lot heavier than proxies though I don't know the details. I suspect you really are just overloading the poor scene. iiuc, VRay has a good proxy system, look to that.