need a tip with lighting in a particular type of scenes

my clients want to be selling the appartments we have created in a building thru an online catalogue of them. i cannot really decide how to light this. a typical scene would be a perspective (slight - almost a plan view to see all the rooms) with walls and all the interiors in place with no ceiling so you can see inside.

now i would like to have a nice even light across the apartment, but if i just make it not cast shadows, it looks too flat. and if i make it cast shadows, theres no direction i can use so that i wouldnt have some rooms completely shadowed. now if i make the walls not cast shadows, then it looks strange because larger interior objects such as a shelving system or a wardrobe casts a shadow thru the walls into the other rooms... hmm... :confused:

but luckily, the client has an example he likes. http://www.doma.as/zahrada2/image/vizualizace/new/DOMA-hostivice-BYT-009-x.jpg

im trying to figure out what lighting setup they used. (although likely this is max and i will be doing it in c4d.) it seems to me, they are using an area light for each room slightly beneath the invis-ed ceiling with walls casting shadows so that the lights dont interfere with each other. plus they have some sort of sunlight or skylight from outside (of course blocked by the invis ceiling) that comes in thru the windows and lights the terrace.

im experimenting with that lighting setup right now. my question is, you think thats viable at all, or is there a better lighting solution for scenes like this? all comments welcome...

edit: of course, GI is used...

Edited by alnoth

well yes, thats what im trying to work around... lighting interiors is quite complex and i definitely dont want to go thru playing around with each and every room of each and every flat - besides, i would up the render times too much.

i just need a simple lighting setup that would yield similar results to the example given. if you look at it, on the example scene each room is lit by the same light, theres no special lights as would be seen in an interior scene - the bedroom, the corridor, the bathroom - all are washed over with same light.

im trying to find out what that light might be. (yes, plus the sunlight wherever windows come in play)