"From Start To Finish" question....

ktate403

I am using the 3DATS book that just came out modleing from start to finish.

I've hit a wall. I am using 3DS MAX 2011. I am at the part in the book where you build a fence for the house.

I had to use the feature "noise" to ben the post in the center area. It isn't working, for some reason. Nothing happens when I apply this feature to my fence post.

Please Advise,

Kathryn

I'm referring to the noise's strength, unfortunately I can't do a screen grab til I get home later tonight. and to increase the segments, if its already an editable poly then just select the edges and connect them. if its not, add an editable poly mod underneath the noise.

It is an editable poly, but I could not connect the segments: the entire pole would move when I tried to move them.

I was, however, able to use strength on Noise. I hadn't selected it the first time I tried.

Bit, still Noise didn't do anything. Perhaps, there is a bug?

Kathryn

Maybe not ideal but for the benefit of figuring out the issue you could add a subdivide modifier to it (under the noise modifier). A noise modifier needs a decent number of vertices to work with and it sounds like you've got too few. Try that and then crank the strength of the noise way up and see if anything happens.

-brodie

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say you've missed a step in the book.

I've read the book myself and know exactly which bit your talking about and it worked when as described when I followed the steps. The book does sometimes leaves bits to the imagination though and does assume some knowledge of Max, hence my question about how familiar you are

In GENERAL, I know 3DZ Max. But there is a lot to it, and most of what I've so far dealt with in this book was new to me--like fillet, for ex. when making the telescope.

Which step did I miss?????

Kathryn

I will try the subdivide modifier now.

• 2 weeks later...

Kathryn,

Sorry it took so long to test this myself. Serge was exactly correct in what he said, although being that he's a native Russian speaker, he didn't explain in the easiest way. Technically, there's a step left out of the book, which if included, would have meant that you would have gotten the Noise modifier to work with no problems. The step was left out because it was considered unnecessary to include. Please understand that we had to skip some steps we assumed were understood without saying in order to keep the book to a reasonable length.

The step that would have made it easy for you to complete is 'Close the Edit Poly modifier'. Had that step been included between steps 5 and 6, you would have had no problem. Since you didn't close the modifier and because you were still in polygon subobject mode, when you applied the Noise modifier, Max thought you were trying to apply to certain select polygons...and since you didn't have any polygons selected, the Noise modifier wasn't allowed to affect any polygons.

Let me know if that does it. Again, sorry it took so long.