movie using only caustics - crash when rendering only caustic high with subdivs

duduchier

Hello,

I am willing to only render caustics with high resolution and high subdivs (~40000).

1-- Therefore, I remove the shadows and toggle the global switch "Don't render final image".

It works very fine until the very end of the rendering. Then I have too much memory used so Max crashes.

-> Why does this happen only when the rendering has just finished and not before ?

2-- To avoid this memory problem, I ask VRay not to "render to memory frame buffer" and I save the rendering to a vrimg.

-> I get nothing if "Don't render final image" is set. Is there a way to save an unfinished image ?

3-- So I do the rendering entirely and extract the "VRayCaustics" element (set from Render Elements) from the generated vrimg. I am using vrimg2exr. I get crosses instead of dots; this layer is not the same image as if I was simply rendering onto the memory frame buffer.

-> Is there a way to extract a caustic render from a saved caustic map ?

I am willing to script the rendering and the saving of my high res caustics so I can make a movie from it.

I'm using VRay 1.50 with 3dsMax 2011 under Windows 7 (using VMware on several macs).

Thank you very much for your precious help !!