Price politic.

lordmidas

It really depends on your type of clients. Friends, meets from another friends, unknown, big or small companies? I treat all my clients differently according to their records in my sight. I always try to find out who they are if i've just met yesterday. But i think at least an agreement paper is something beneficial just in case.

Charging ? ... i work for fun :D

Ok seriously. 99 % at the end of the job, or a little bit later waiting for additional work sometimes. I would only charge 50/50 when its a project that runs for a long time.

My two cents

ingo

Unless I know the client well and have established a working relationship w/them, payment is as follows:

30% up front at the signing

20% at approval of the floor plan layout

20% at approval of the 3D model

20% at approval of the textures/rough plans

10% at exchange of the final product.

I write in a contracted amount of hours the project will take. If the hours go over, they pay for the extra hours. I update them at every billing where we are with hours and if they are making too many changes and putting their contracted hours at risk. This way there are no surprises. If the client all of the sudden starts to feel like withholding money near the end of the project, I have been paid 90% already and so I hold all of the cards. They never put the entire project at risk over that last 10%.

Only once have I not been paid that last 10%, and I was glad he didn’t pay me. The client wanted to general/build the house themselves but it was becoming apparent that they had no idea what they were doing. They agreed that if they would proceed that I couldn’t be held liable for anything on the plans. I have the contract written that if I am not paid for any part of the project that I am not liable in any way for anything on the plans if they decide to use them.

If anyone wants a copy of the contract I’d be happy to FWD it to them.

Not a prob:

Please keep in mind that I am trying to move from an architectural design service to now also offering rendering, so I have two contracts to show here, both in PDF format:

This 1st one is for a client that called me based on a reference. I didn’t know them from Adam so I gave them the typical contract that had quite a few protections written in for myself:

http://www.fusiondesigngroup.com/docs/FDG%20design%20contract.pdf

This 2nd contract is for an establish client, so it wasn’t as “heavy-handed”. Plus it is a rendering job, so there are less liability issues involved when preparing rendered pictures than there are preparing construction documents:

http://www.fusiondesigngroup.com/docs/FDG%20contract%20rendering.pdf

But the 1st protection I use is just my gut feeling. No matter how well a contract is written, if things are going to get ugly, it will get ugly no matter what your contract says. So when interviewing a client I will turn them away if they smell like trouble. The biggest signs a client will be trouble for me are these:

1. if they constantly put down and complain about a previous builder, architect or designer

2. if they come to you with a partially started project and want to finish things up but are vague on why the project wasn’t finished by whomever started it

3. or they want you to finish a set of plans that someone else started [this could be a copyright infringement also].

4. if they are hesitant and or become adamant about not signing a contract.

These people are typically nothing but trouble. Tire kickers looking for something for nothing. No amount of money is worth you giving them your services.

If you want to copy the text out of these contracts to write your own, feel free to do so.

Just don’t copy them word for word, I may put a lien on your property ;)

Interesting to see, now i know why youre married, you need someone to write all your bills and contracts :)

I must admit i've never made a contract with clients, so nothing is written down, sometimes i only have to make an offer if they ask more than one of us architectural cg artists. My work is making nice pictures and not nice contracts, and as you mentioned you normally realise when you talk to a bad client. And at least here in Hamburg we cg-artists have a good communication, so bad clients are well known very soon.

ingo

ingo,

Actually, the basis of that contract comes from the professional association that I belong to, the AIBD. I then rewrote it to meet my needs keeping some their legalize verbiage that their original contract included.

My wife isn’t into writing much of anything for the business; I take care of all the paperwork. But she does take care of all the anniversary cards, gifts, etc.., and I just sign my name. I am terrible at that stuff, so I’m glad she takes care if it :)

nisus,

yes it’s ahh, ahem, an interesting read, if you’re an attorney :D

But I have revised the contract based on people looking to mess around with MY money in the past. So every time someone tried to pull something, I’d revise the next contract to make sure that something similar wouldn’t happen again.

Experience is sometimes the best, but harshest educator. The joys of being your own boss I guess :)

Originally posted by Paul Griger:

Experience is sometimes the best, but harshest educator. The joys of being your own boss I guess :)

Oooh yes, where do i have to sign this ? ;)

Before i got any dumb ideas for the abbreviation, what is the AIBD ?

ingo

PS: Are you sure you sign only birthday and Xmas cards ?

Originally posted by ingo:

Before i got any dumb ideas for the abbreviation, what is the AIBD ?

AIBD = American Institute of Building Design

http://www.aibd.org/index.html

Looky here, http://www.aibd.org/desline/gallery.htm

I placed first place in our respective category, “Unbuilt Design” plus took “Best of Show” and “Designers Choice Award” in Colorado this year. This home will be featured in their “Design Line” mag and in a Special Interest mag for Better Homes and Gardens this Winter called “Home Planning Ideas”.

PS: Are you sure you sign only birthday and Xmas cards ?

Well, I haven’t signed any Xmas or Birthday cards in years [we don’t observe these] but I’m sure everything I have signed has been rather harmless.

Besides, I’ve already signed a fat Life Insurance policy on myself w/her as the beneficiary, so to her, fiscally, I’m already worth more dead than alive ;)

She likes to kid around with it by quoting movie lines from the movie, “So I Married an Axe Murderer”

~

Harriet: I mean look at us Charlie, look at us. We’re sleeping and look how venerable we are. I could do anything to you in your sleep.

Charlie: What could you do?

Harriet: Um, you know, anything. You’re lying on your side, totally asleep, I could just… you know… stick a needle in your [starts to poke at Charlie’s ear]

Charlie: AHHH! AHHH!

~

It doesn’t help that I hate :mad: my ears being touched.

Humm, a party heh? Well the party will be whenever we actually get this thing built. Right now I have redesigned the home to half the size so that the homeowners can afford to build it. We have a builder or two lined up working with us to get bids together. If we can get the budget in line, then we break ground in Spring 2004 [party #1]. Hopefully we’ll complete it in Fall 2004 [party #2]

All of ya can have invites, although it may be a hike from Hamburg :D