Is it going to be big in future?

vru

Hi All

Glad to see this forum. I have been wanting to ask this for a long time ... Is Realtime/VR/Interactive/VRML going to be big in future? I would like to do a project to learn it.

Any links or tutorials will be helpful.

Thanks

Vrushali

Sometimes I think VR is not a fever nowadays because people are not doing the math. There are several game engines anyone can buy (Unreal, Half Life, Quake, etc), not to mention specific softwares such as Quest 3D. With those, and some study, we already can creat a virtual house (or even a city) for our client with a not-so-high cost. We are currently working on it (Unreal engine), and it's really and surprisingly promising.

Hello Vrushali,

We focus on the real-time interactive 3D medium and are doing R&D of Open Source PC-cluster Virtual Reality solutions.

It is inevitable and a matter of when, not if, for a large market demand.

Realtime 3D is already here for several years now, it's just the wide spread adoption of it at the commericial level that's lacking. Most of the realtime stuff are for games, but I see there are many cross over now. There are a lot of promising 3D games that have fantastic engine that can be used for realtime 3D architectural projects. " Stalker " seems to be one, with a very promising realtime HDRI engine.. and dynamic lighting system.. another engine to consider is Half-life 2. Also the recently released DOOM 3 is also fantastic.

On the commericial side that gear specifically towards architecture, Cubicspace rTre, Quest 3D, all provide really impressive realtime 3D with minimal tempering.

I think it's not the question whether it's going to be big or not it is "when".

Think of this way, would a client just want a series of static images if you can give them an interactive walkthrough?.. right now, it's the norm to present images, but if those client goes home and see his kids playing games such as DOOM3 and the such, he will wonder why he stick with the images ;)

Ofcourse there is the time contraint and money involved to produce realtime walkthrough, as it requires more time to optimise and deliver such thing, but as technology gets much better now, automatic "level of detail" (dynamically scaling down the polygon count) will be implemented in most engine, so you do not need to optimise or worry about how you model your geometry to best suit the engine.

There was a time (VRML history lesson er-hem...) when internet was promised with 3D interactivity... but that was long dead because nobody wants to installed a 10 meg plugin and back then nobody has the hardware to really "drive" those content. Now, everyone have atleast an affordable 3D card which is now standard... but! the situation with the VRML standard is currently is not looking too good...too many interest group still wants to control the share of it, I guess the old saying too many cooks spoil the brew..

Hello Vrushali,

We focus on the real-time interactive 3D medium and are doing R&D of Open Source PC-cluster Virtual Reality solutions.

It is inevitable and a matter of when, not if, for a large market demand.

Hi jrsv

I went through your website. I liked the demo, especially the feature where you can select a part and it is shown in 2d dwg, view and also its location in the full view.

Thanks

Vrushali