VRAY and HDRI obsolete?

senrikyu

Hi All,

I have a question regarding using using VRay's VRaySun and VRaySky system versus using an HDRI in the environment and reflection (and refraction if need be) slots. Several people have told me that I would get more consistant results and better control using the VRaySun/Sky option than if i choose my own HDRI. In essence, they are saying that using HDRI is obsolete, as the procedural VRay system can do all that HDRI does and more.

I have found the opposite, however- after I set up the VRaySun/Sky system, I like to choose my own spherical HDRI from a collection. I find that the images are more subtle and vibrant. It takes a lot more tweaking and trial and error, but I find that a good HDRI can really make an exterior scene "pop".

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Perhaps I am just of an "old school" VRay sentiment- in this case, Old School being because I learned from the Gnomen lighting tutorials (pre-VRay Sun/Sky) and it's always worked well for me.

Thanks!

Senrikyu

Ignore what you have been told to a degree, HDRI's are getting much better these days, but if there quality is not up to scratch then they can look terrible. However, as good as they are these days, do not underestimate the importance of traditional lighting setups and vray sun/sky combos to compliment you skillset

Thanks Dave,

Glad to hear that you think there is some value to HDRI still. So, that raises two more questions:

1. Are there any images out there that show a comparison between the two?

2. What do you look for in a "good" HDRI? I'm still using a set of spherical HDRI's just show a dark ground plane with some texture and sky with clouds and a sun or lightsource.

Senrikyu

Im doing some exterior renderings right now that have a decent budget, so I wanted to stay away from out of the box VraySun+Sky. It delivers good results, but I just wanted something different. So Im doing HDRI with Vray Sun. Its going well, I tend to use HDRI's for most of my non-arch work.

HDRI's are best with cars and product design, because the curves in the models catch the reflections better. Arch projects have mostly flat surfaces which do not benefit much of HDRI's and it ends up restricting you and consuming a lot of time in trials.

so each for a general purpose...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the answers. Rick, I'll definitely check out Peter's blog. It's so interesting to note that there is no "definite" answer as to which is better- just whatever works for the particular situation.

Chris

Several people have told me that I would get more consistant results and better control using the VRaySun/Sky option than if i choose my own HDRI.

This is true to the extent that the result will always be the same, less variable, and therefore more consistent. If you have the skills to utilize both, then I say use whatever you must to stand out from the crowd.