Problems with revit families in 3ds max

mb90

Hi, i was wondering how can edit revit families in 3ds max? Well I created building in revit and some families, after that I exported dwg, and through file link manger in 3ds max i uploaded that dwg file in to 3ds max. But where some problems. First off all one of my families has to have 2 different materials, but i can assign only one. In revit for that family I created 2 different materials parameters, but in 3ds max i cant find them. Well I thought i can separate that family in to 2 different families and then add materials to them, but I dont know is the right way to do it. Any thoughts?

It can depend on your linking settings. I use FBX now but with DWG in 2011 there are import settings for Revit exported DWG which should recognise materials. In 2010 it did not have the auto setting for Revit DWG's but you could choose combine by layer, blocks as node hierarchy, split by material or something similar

You have to assign the different materials in Revit. It does not matter what they are as long as they are different. make sure they have different render appearence materials not just display properties.

If you are still having trouble you can apply an edit mesh and assign different material chanels and use a multi sub material on the object. It is a painful process but it will work.

My suggestion is FBX from Revit. As Kris said, combine by layer, blocks as node hierarchy, split by material or do not combine at all. You geometry will come in as it is oranized in Revit. Once you have the geometry in Max you can use a Multi Sub Object Material for objects like doors, windows and other assemblies. Individual solids will have a unique material id. Open the sub-object to verify or simply modify the applied sub-object material to test. - Roger