What Playback software do you use?

Eric Philpott

I am doing some research on playback software and I would be very interested to hear how people are doing playback of their animations and 3D renderings.

I am intrigued by the relative absence of playback software (except for awkward low res video format players).

How do you do playback and do you like the sytem you're using?

thanks,

Eric Philpott

So far, the best playback software I've seen is Radlight. It's light, simple and has everything you might need.

It also handles hi-res files pretty well.

BUT, since it depends on a relatively powerful machine to run properly, I'm now publishing all my animations on VCD. It's less likely you're gonna have troubles such as flicks or incompatibilities...

[]

Rick

The problem with Bink is the file is a .exe Yeah, virus scanners are good these days but I know a lot of people who just stay well away from .exe files which have come from people they don't fully know.

Oooh look :gebigeek: orangeshy :ngesleep: :rolleyes: :angesigh: :angeuhoh: :angedead: orangecry

I have heard from some 3D and VFX artists that doing playback in a video format is problematic because

1. (according to some) it adds extra steps and takes more time.

2. The lower resolution of video formats makes accurate playback (for careful checking for artifacts, for example) difficult.

(Note: I have heard this last concern more from people in the film industry, so it higher resolution playback may not be an issue for this CGarchitect artists.)

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Eric