ATree3D - free 3ds max plants generator for architectural visualizations

Atanas Bakardzhiev

It does look promising, we're currently using mix of tools, but it is bit troublesome. How heavy can it go ? Our trees need to be in range upwards of 20+ million poly per each (leaves are between 4-9 poly per each, opacity mapped, but need for custom model). I am willing to pay for good tool, a lot.

The most heavy tree which i prepared with Atree had a 5 000 000 polys (leaves has 6 polys). In this case Atree3D has prepared one tree in 8-9 minutes. In most cases my trees made with Atree are rather not so heavy - 1 000 000 to 1 500 000 polys.

Kind regards

Krzysztof Czerwinski

10 minutes to generate or whole creation process ? :- O It takes us 5 full days of work (about 30 hours) to create complete, high-end tree with GrowFx, but even then I am not fully satisfied, it has a lot of shortcomings.

This does look promising a lot, magic is in simplicity. Onyx is cool, but unstable and outdated, and also impossible to create realistic trees in 20-30 metres height range.

I like your Oak a lot, while not really realistic in composition and branches, the leaf distribiution is natural and flawless.

I suppose that i said something wrong:) 10 minutes - it's time for CONSTRUCT trees - since push CREATE button to final mesh tree is ready. Preparing trees (looking for good tree shape from reference photos, preparing shape of trunk and branches , modelling leaves, preparing textures) is taking me 2-3 days. I suppose that preparing ONE tree from scratch to final mesh is taking 20-24 hours in Atree3D. The only problem which i'm actually trying to solve is that shape of branches is the same. That's a structure of ATree3D plants:

Level 01 - Trunk = you have to paint it or modify points by moving points of spline

Level 02 - First Branches which are "connected" to trunk = you have to paint it or modify points by moving points of spline, and EVERY branch in this level has the same SHAPE but rotated and moved around trunk.

Level 03 - Second Branches which are connected to LEVEL 02 branches - you have to define NEW shape of branch. And now EVERY branch at this level has the same shape but is rotated and moved around LEVEL 02 branch...

Level 04 - Third branches.... - similar to Level 03.

Summary:

To prepare real-lookin trees i have spend a lot of time to prepare all these setting in best possible way, and time to time i'm creating TWO trees in the same position - but second tree has no TRUNK, only other branches (with other shape and scale settings).

Atree3D i actually most powerfull FREE plant tool (time to time it's better than Grow Fx or Onyx) - and probably one of the best script made for 3D Max ever.

Try to get some of my AT3D settings files for AT3D script which i shared here (Oak is there too with textures:)) :

http://3dtreexchange.net/?p=480

Kind regards and full respect fo Your hard work

Krzysztof Czerwinski

If You need some absolutely top HQ 2D cutout plants (alpha masked) - please try my plants and trees which i prepared for CGTEXTURES.COM. All of them are totally for FREE to commercial use. I cutted out every tree and plant by hand masking and lasso selection. There is NO WHITE or CYAN edges, and resolution is almost always close to 2000 pixels width or height. First you have to register for free to cgtextures for free and next you'll be able to download 15 MB textures per 24 hours (you can buy better account if you want download more per 24 h). I'm using cgtextures since 2008. THere is over 100 trees and plants with ALPHA masks prepared by me. Enjoy:) Here you have example of quality my trees (available at cgtextures.com). Here we go dear friends:

DSC_0396_0397_Stiched.jpg

Greetings

Krzysztof Czerwinski

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the new update,

I've just recently been using ATree3d to make various branches which im attaching to a custom made trunk for trees used in the foreground of a scene. So im using it in a bit of a different way but its been very useful nonetheless.

houseinforest_render03_cropped.jpg

I've rendered the branches to texture and then applied the texture to planes, the planes represent the branches in the veiwport. I've then aligned the planes with a vrayproxy of the Atree3d generated model and grouped them individually as shown in the image below.

gum_foliage_proxies.jpg

The planes only render in the veiwport and give me a pretty good indication of the volume of foliage without affecting viewport performance.

Im just wondering if it would be possible to use the branch proxies in place of leaves in the script?, pretty much in the same way as the low poly gum trees i posted earlier on in this thread.

Maybe the tree could be generated just using the low poly representations of the branches and then swapped out later with their corresponding vrayproxy?.

Would it be possible to allow "groups" to be used aswell as editable meshes/polys for leaves and have the script still preserve the objects inside the group?.

This could be a good way of generating very large, highly detailed trees, without affecting veiwport performance too much, while also giving a decent preview of the rendered product in the veiwport.

Edited by mikebart

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice share, I wil try it. Thanks.

As many of you we searched for cost effective tool for 3d trees and plants. There are many good plugins, programs and tree collections but nothing was exactly what we needed. We wanted a tool that work inside the 3ds max window, with not too many and complex parameters, precise control over each element and polygon count, a scalable solution for our different scenes and projects. At the end we decide to develop our own solution - ATree3D.

ATree3D was design as easy to use, powerful tool for creating 3d plants for architectural visualization.

It's free and you can download it and learn more about it from this page.

Try it and let us know what you think!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I've released on my blog next little pack of free 3D models of trees. This time you can download some common trees ready to use in private and commercial projects:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49306[/ATTACH]

http://trzyde.blogspot.com

Kind regards

Krzysztof Czerwinski

Chris, super thanks ! You need to get some better marketing going on since I didn't even knew you published this. Atleast let some blogger know :- D Great job on those trees

Juraj -hm i'm not using facebook, and probably that's the reason why my marketing i really poor. Few infos about my blog you can find at http://www.ronenbekerman.com/ in freebies section, http://www.cgrecord.net/ and xoio.de. Actually i have no time to make marketing - i have to pay bills and i have to make everything if i and my family want to make better live:) Time to time i have few hours at night to prepare some freebies, but in last weeks i have no chance to do it. Actually i have almost done a lavender 3D model done in ATree3D but i have not time to finish it and prepare to share at my blog. If you want more my 3D Trees check a VIZ-PEOPLE.COM and their FREE STUFF section. I made for them 18 birch trees in high quality - models and textures:) Maybe in next few weeks i'll be able to put some new stuff on my blog - superb nice skies with perfect puffy cloud (3800x2500 px).

I understand the little time, I too made promise to myself to share some quality models atleast every second week, but I am just too busy to follow even my own rules...

I used the birches already, they're damn nice too :- ) !