New to Sketch Up

OK so I use Max but there are tons of jobs out there for some one that can use this program. I can get it from downloading on Google.... or is there some fancy big version I should know about?

In any case it seems like a pretty simple program am I wrong in thinking this? I just started work on a new project piece so I'm thinking when I finish this I would like to mess with this program so that I can use that as a selling point in finding myself a job again.

Anything in particular I need to know? learn? Is something more important to know then another thing maybe? Any good training out there that's free? I just popped on Youtube a few weeks ago to watch some..... but I'd like good ones :)

Thanks guys!

sorry I have to say that sketchup is the worst program ever made. I am sick to my stomach from cleaning up models sent to me by sketchup architects. the flippe dnormals, the many faces on top of eachother, the bad materials, every time they modify the make it messier and messier. the only reason for using sketchup is that they want to save money MONEEEEY. MONEY. MOONNEEY.

like they save a few hundred dollars off the price of a real pro package, and they spend thousands of their time's worth in flipping normals.

plus the sketchup 3d content sucks, the trees use 50 times more memory than the actual building yet they still look like they were modeled 20 years ago.

Sketchup lowered the prestige of the business,and the quality of the models, and they use it to lower our prices but the amount of work is more because fixing it is worse than redoing the whole thing in max sometimes. I can`t beleive the crap I see when I get sketchup models. (sorry for the word crap)

I totally disagree with Ihabkal...What He is saying is not true at all...He's describing user problems, like in MAX if somebody model a building and he is using box01 to box10000000 I would have the same commentaries that you have about MAX because is not part of my workflow and way to work....on the other hand when you model something you have to know if you model for MAX or your model is construction documents, etc.

http://www.peterguthrie.net/ Peter models in SU as well, he has beautiful renderings in MAX and there are a lot people using SU as main modeller for Architectural work.

Edited by Fernando Lino

OK not exactly what I was looking for in a response. I do agree with what you said though.... Revit is one I'd like to learn as well. Lots out there that are some what destroying what it is we do and under valuing us in whole because of it.

Anyone have answers more closely answering my questions? haha

There are 2 versions available, a free version and a “pro” (Paid) Version. The free version is mainly for the use of building content for Google earth and is the same as the pro version. But the pro version comes with a few extras tools and you can load and save different formats, ie; 3ds, dwg, dfx, ect. The free version is good for learning the programs functions and to see if can fit into your work flow before purchasing the paid version.

It’s an easy program to learn and there are books and web sites with lots of tutorials, if you need it but you should be able to pick up the main functions in a afternoon. The important thing is to make sure your face normals are facing correctly if you are going to use the models to render in max.

Since there is a free version as with anything that’s free to the public there is good and bad stuff out there available on the google warehouse. If you use models from the warehouse you may have to do some work in skecthup before you import to max, mainly flipping faces and cleaning up geometry.

As with any program it all depends on the user what you get out of it. Sketchucation site is a great place to learn about this program. This link is a great look at what can be done with this program:

http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=33509

Hope this helps....

I have to also disagree with ihabkal even though I totally understand his frustration. Like Fernando pointed out, those "user" issues can be easily avoided. I have used SketchUp for production work and learned to appreciate what SketchUp has to offer. It is not a perfect application but it is easy to learn; its snapping tools are the best in the industry in my opinion. I would suggest you to try the demo for the SketchUp pro version. Get a feel for it and see if you like it. There are tons of training materials for SketchUp out there. I recorder a couple of beginner tutorials a month ago o so. I go over modeling techniques and how to avoid "user" mistakes specially for exporting to other 3D applications. I hope it helps.

-E

SketchUp Pro Video Tutorials

http://vimeo.com/album/1644308

Sketchup only have 2 versions as Che said....but on the other hand, there are tons of free ruby scripts and good commercial tools (very affordable) for example:

http://www.1001bit.com/

http://www.smustard.com/

to me, Sketchup is an excellent tool for design/modelling specially for architecture....learning curve is super smooth, easy to learn and super intuitive....I just use Autocad for modelling and have of you brain is designing and the other have is thinking how you have to do in AutoCAD...in SU you don't have to do it...it's like having a 3D pencil.

What you have to learn in SU fiinding you best workflow specially if you export the models to different applications....How work faster and clean, the best use of Groups and Components, best ways to export geometry and the limitations. I'm saying limitations because the applications are only tools and knowing them very well you will know when you have to use MAX, Sketchup, etc.....I use all the tools that I have in my hands according what i need and SU is one of the main ones.

Fernando