Best software to use.

LoKeL

Wow guy's you've given me alot to think about. I defiantly think its a good idea to focus on the one that can help me speed up the process like SU and learn it inside and out. Since I have a student version of Maya from when I took a Maya class, i might as well use that for more high poly stuff and defiantly need to sit down and learn photoshop inside and out. As for the renderers, im just going to have to try out the demos versions. Im going to want one that does character modelling and animation as well, since its a side hobby.

Thank you so much guys for your feed back,

LoKeL

I use SketchUp + Maya + V-Ray combo and work full-time in arc-viz.

SketchUp after a few dozen plugins becomes a beast and there is no need to model in Max or Maya as it is a very capable modelling program in the right hands. Although obviously Max/Maya is still required for layout, detailing and rendering.

One thing about Maya and arch-viz, you'll definitely have to consider purchasing V-Ray. After years of using mental ray inside Maya, it is pretty much is a lost cause to be honest - it is not worth the pain...and I mean pain. Sure V-Ray isn't perfect either, but if a problem is found, it is usually fixed within a few days.

The interesting thing I have found working with Maya over the years, and this can be considered a double edged sword, is that Maya is quite flexible in its ability to be customised to a particular workflow whether it be for Hollywood, games or Arch-Vis. So if you are serious about giving Maya a go, it kind of needs to go hand in hand with some sort of scripting whether it be MEL or Python as Maya is designed from the ground up around scripting. It will take a while to learn but it saves so much time being able to write your own tools and work-flows.

It's my preference to model in the same software environment that I render in. I render in Max with Vray, so I prefer to use Max for modeling as well. The key advantage that Sketchup has over 3ds Max is that Sketchup is easier to learn and, in some ways easier to use (due to poly-modeling automations like auto-welding). There are considerably more modeling tools in Max than SU, but becoming comfortable using them with ease and proficiency takes time and practice, so I understand why many prefer SU. And SU is indeed adequate and very capable 3d modeling tool for architecture. However, once learned, the Max poly-modeling tools are fantastic and enjoyable to use. So, I've come to enjoy a preference to modeling in Max over SU.