Shadow Problems in Sketchup 8 Pro

lylemills

I am having issues with shadows displaying in the wrong places and incorrectly. They are usually on flat planes with nothing around them to cast a shadow, so there shouldn't be any shadows there. This is not z-fighting as there is only one face. I have downloaded and installed the shadows strings fix, but it doesn't help. When I turn off shadows it disappears. If I zoom out far from the object in the scene, the problem disappears. I zoom in and it reappears. It doesn't affect 2D image exports as shadows appear in the proper place and correctly.

I am on a PC laptop with the latest driver for my ATI mobility Radeon HD5870 card I have updated Sketchup pro and have all the necessary updates on my laptop. I have attached an image to show the problem of the whacky shadows. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44747[/ATTACH]

I use Skaetchup from the 2.1 version and the "problem" you experienced is'nt really a "problem" (I think).

You can send me your file to test if you want but the things you've to look at:

there is a plane under your green plane and relatively near of, isn't it ? Delete the plane (or parts of) you don't need and the problem will solve.

Thanks for your input, but I have been using Sketchup since version 6 and never had this problem before - I consider it a problem as it is displaying the image incorrectly and interferes with modelling, not to mention that it is troublesome to look at.

There is only one "plane" (face). I believe what you are thinking of is z-fighting which I said was not happening as there is only one face. Seeing that it disappears depending on how near or far from the model I have zoomed, I can only conclude that it is a problem with Sketchup...