Edgeloops and cleaning up models

mrstardust

Hi,

i just recently started using sketchup. Since i come from max, it took some time to get the concept of organizing things, but now i´m starting to like it.

Two things keep bothering me though:

1. As i said, i come from 3DS Max and therefore i really miss an Option to select multiple edges at once, known as edgeloops...i know i can select all edges of a face by double clicking on it, but thats not really what i need. For example: i want to select all Edges in a loop to quickly chamfer them all. Any idea?

2. I tend to spend a lot of time cleaning up my models. That means: Deleting all unnecessary edges. Since i wanna do my texturing and rendering in Max, i don´t want any useless Faces. But while cleaning up, the model often looks good from one side, but after a while i have to realize that some of the edges i deleted were essential and my model is missing faces now in places i didn´t see at first.

Therefore my question: Is there way to speed up this process or is it stupid anyway?

Hi Samuel,

My suggestion is to use the orthographic views to make your selections by drawing a marque around the edges that you want to transform. Unfortunately, there are no loop nor ring selection tools in SketchUP. Here is a link to a couple of Ruby plugins that might help you:

Loop

I have a couple of tutorials on Vimeo. The tutorials cover file organization as well as modeling for exporting to other 3D apps. Here is the link; I hope it helps:

Google SketchUP Pro – Best Practices

-E

Hi Ernesto,

thanks for the link, i already reposted it, even though i didn´t have time to watch it all...;)

Right now i´m a bit tired of sketchup, i already remodeled my actual exercise project twice and now it seems like i´ll have to do it again, because i still didn´t organize my model well enough.

Since i wanna use sketchup only for the rough modeling part and do the more advanced modeling (Interiors, props etc.), texturing and rendering in Max, theres a couple of issues i´m still running into...

I put too many things in one layer instead of grouping and making components fro everything, and now i´m having a hard time seperating objects for UV-Mapping and such.

Your video also kind of shows my main concerns: That it takes so much more time in sketchup to get a clean model, that its not that much faster than other packages in the end.

I´m still not giving up though, since all the pros (bekerman, guthrie etc.) seem to get the results they need from it...

I´m a bit stubborn, so i also won´t give up and remodel again, but rather try to think of ways to still get good results with what i already have...

Hi Samuel,

SketchUp is still a fast program. In my tutorials I go over my own workflow. However, there are many other different ways to approach modeling in SketchUp. I personally use SU for design work; to block out layouts. I hope you can find a workflow that works for you; SU to Max works just fine with a little bit or organization and planning. I used to model in SketchUP and then export to 3dsmax for rendering using Vray or Maxwell without any major issues. Thanks for watching the tutorials and let me know if you have any questions.

-E

Hi Ernesto,

I´ve been down with the flu, and i couldn´t really concentrate on what i was doing, so i´m still a little stuck between remodeling and reorganizing.

I did read up on some other blogs though and i´m starting to realize how to use sketchup and why its differences to Max don´t really matter in the Archviz Area...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...