Marketing Dilemna

Guest archibabble

Guest archibabble

Hi all,

I must say, I've really enjoyed many of the discussions about this profession, but the one thing I haven't seen is any discussion of how to get clients!

My partner and I are currently both working in architecture firms, but we are in the process of trying to break free and start our own rendering firm. We realize that doing this full time is a little ways off, but we are really trying to build up a client base to allow us to do this. We have had a couple of jobs for architectural offices, and that is the market we currently target. Are there any other markets with a propensity towards hiring renderers? We're stuck, but really enthusiastic about getting going with this.

What is the trick to getting new clients? How does one market oneself? I know that these are 6 million dollar questions, but any advice for a couple of determined artists would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks much,

Archibabble

Hi archibabble,

Here is my advice: Find out these things for yourself ;) You'll learn a lot from it ànd you'll be doing your own thing, rather them someone elses. Try to answer your own questions and you'll have a good point of view to start with, then find a strategy to make your dreams come true. Remember: keep the core rock solid and the strategy ever changing ;)

rgds

nisus

[ December 13, 2002, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: nisus ]

Call up firms. Ask for the design principle. Question them on the viability of what you propose to do.. if its something that they would be interested in... DON'T DIRECTLY ADVERTISE, ask them questions, educate yourself about the office. Firms get enough telli-marketing as is and its easy for them to dismiss you as another faceless add. Dropping names of schools and people really helps getting them to warm up to you as well. If you can talk with some one for over five minutes you're doing really well.

Once you get an office interested, try to make an appointment to show them your portfolio in person. Mailing out a portfolio is much less effective then showing them work and animations while you're there.

Also, I would suggest that you go to a bookstore and buy:

The Entepreneur Magazine's Small Business Advisor

It has some good advise as far as marketing is concerned.

-Joseph