Camera Correction -- Reflection/Specular Errors

ShaunDon

I'm experiencing a problem rendering an exterior scene in Vray. For awhile we've relied on the camera correction modifier to achieve two-point or just plain interesting perspectives. I assume that most people on this board do the same, so hopefully someone can answer my question.

We've used the camera correct modifier to achieve a pretty radical angle, and it's cranked up to an amount of 12 or so. I've never gone over 3 before. Anyway, as I've discovered the reflections and speculars will only render (or render correctly perhaps, but I'm getting nothing right now) if I turn the camera correction off, which drastically changes the view and even the camera's position.

I'm wondering if there's another method of camera correction that we might try, or if someone out there can at least tell me that I'm insane to use the modifier in that way and that there's no solution to this issue.

I'm sorry I can't post images of what I'm experiencing. Non-disclosure and all that jazz.

We're using Max 4.2 and Vray 1.09.03m. Thanks!

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

A camera with the same Z level for the Camera and Target is a perspective corrected camera.

Apart from that, using newer versions of VRay may also fix this problem, if I am not wrong. I know that 3dsmax 5 and 6 do not show problems with the scanline renderer. I do not remember if R4 had problems or not.

Alexander

The other thing to try is in Vray make sure that "max compatible shade context" is un-checked under the "system" rollout. This will cause problems. Otherwise, you have to set your camera and target at the same height and change your image size to much larger than you want (you will end up getting a lot of ground in the image) and then crop to what you want to see.

-Chad

I see what you guys are saying... I wish I'd done a lot more tests before going forward with this project. Was just too busy with other ones at the time. ;-) This is the first tower we've done, so it's the first time we've run into noticable errors with the camera correction.

Unchecking "max compatible shade context" drastically changed the lighting behavior in the scene when I gave it a quick try, so I'm not sure if that does solve things that it would be worth adjusting all our lighting back to normal... however I'm starting the night perspective of the same angle tonight, and I'll start with that unchecked and see where it leads... otherwise, my specular's and such will have to be done with some photoshop magic. ;-)

Thanks guys!

Shaun