VFB Reflection Channel overexposed?

fucingcuntbag

Ive spent the past couple days trying to figure this out. Now my time is running too low to be figuring it out without asking.

My final renders turn out with white spots. ive read soo many similar cases, but non seem to solve my issue.

I think I've narrowed it down to my VFB Reflections channel as the source (when i view it independently, its the one that doesnt look right).

I'm trying to create a polished concrete material, so it should reflect color and some very subtle geometry (chairs, walls, etc) similar to sidewalks when it rains, but with less ripple distortion.

I will attach images once the render is complete.. im only posting now in case someone knows off hand ;)

*edit* Images

Order of appearance: Reflection, RGB, Raw_Light (i added this because there is some noise that im not sure if it contributes or not)

Edited by fucingcuntbag

To me that just looks like noise. Like you set the materials glossy reflection low and didn't up the subdivisions on the reflection. once the glosiness gets below, say, 0.8, you really need to start upping the subdivisions. I usually do a 0.6 with 24-32 subdivisions for a concrete type material. This adds to render times, but cleans up a lot of noise in the image. Also, how are you rendering? Brute Force or Irradiance?

And why would you choose that username?

Edited by CoreyMBeaulieu

hey corey, thanks a lot for your reply.

Ill try putting it at 0.6 with 32 subdivs.

I am rendering with irradiance map for primary and light cache as secondary. Irradiance map is set to

-4 and -3 for min/max with 80 HSph subdivs.

it was just a username i chose so i could look for answers on the forum. when i ended up posting i hadn't realized it was displayed. i couldnt find a place to change it :(

Irradiance map is set to

-4 and -3 for min/max with 80 HSph subdivs.

-4 and -3 are too low, take the max to at least 1 for one pixel sub-d (2 should be better), and increase the hsph to 100 subdivs. The first one increases render time and gives you a more polished scene. And just a quick thought, also check in the roll out if you've set to show the samples.

-4 and -3 are too low, take the max to at least 1 for one pixel sub-d (2 should be better), and increase the hsph to 100 subdivs. The first one increases render time and gives you a more polished scene. And just a quick thought, also check in the roll out if you've set to show the samples.

I don't agree. -4 and -3 are a little low, but moreover they don't offer a good enough range. 1, however, is way too much.Try -5 and -2 with your 80hsph and about half, 40 interp. samples. Light cache should be in the 800-1200 range with screen scale and this should work. These setting are basic, but good and should get any rendering to a close level of polish where you can assess your image.

I usually start by first choosing medium in the "current preset" rollout and then choose custom right after. This will put some of the other values like color threshold and normal threshold to acceptible values.