What's the soft/hardware needed for C4d + vray?

D.B.

I've been running a old version of c4d for many years, and realise it's time for a major upgrade, but have a limited amount of $ to do it with. (after a diastrous excersion into Modo)

If I buy C4D Prime and Vray, what would I be missing in function? Could I still be able to create and render grass and forest of trees with the vray functions?

Thanks...D.B.

You're in luck! I have just made this jump to VRay with R13 Studio and a new work station.

Workstation - i7 3960X liquid cooled and O/C'd to 4.2GHZ, 64GB ram, SSD boot disk, Radeon 6900 series GPU. It scores ~13.2 on Cinebench at ~100FPS. I think there is still some room to squeeze a little more out of it. My old i7 scored 4.8CB.

If you opt for Prime you will be missing a few things that I consider critical.

1) Mograph. Awesome for randomizing clusters or lines of trees/bushes/people/cars etc. It can also randomize shaders so a parking lot gets filled with different colored cars even though you've only added one car to the scene. It can do a lot more, but this is what I have found useful so far.

2) Cloth. Tents, flags, curtains, blankets and all sorts of other fabric like objects can be made and animated with ease.

3) Net Render. I work in an architecture office with a lot of CPU power that went unused at night. Not any more! 250 cores...Thank You, Come Again

4) Sketch and Toon. I like to do NPR type images at early stages of the design process. I wish I knew how to use this better.

Arguments could made for the usefulness of the C4D sky object, AR, and fur, but VRay has all of that too.

Sorry to hear you didnt like Modo. You may be able to sell your license, not sure about the legality(?), but it could make up the shortfall between the cut-down version of C4D and the full one.

I haven't used C4D much, but I do know that MoGraph is the only C4D-envy I have as a Max user. Go for the full one, you'll only wonder what you're missing if you dont.

It sounds like you have a very serious machine! I'm envious.

I was afraid that I would be missing some functions, and you've confirmed that. Modo has toon shading, and the functions you've described in Mograph. Net rendering isn't a factor for me, but cloth would be a handy tool. Too bad C4D isn't modular anymore.

Modo has very nice solid SDS modeling, and some "features" are not so nice...like the clumsy material system, a tendency to be unstable, and it handle large files poorly. The last two "features" has me looking at C4D again.

Thank You, I appreciate your help!