Greetings! An Inquiry About Which Rendering Software to Export Too, If Any. (Picture)

dougpreston

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here at CGArchitect so i feel somewhat selfish in already skipping to questions and requests, but im in a bit of a bind. Im looking at creating a decent restaurant interior shot (see below for an example) and i guess im just wanting to make sure im on the right track as far as software use goes.

At my office we are using AutoCAD Architecture 2011, but I also have access to 3Ds max. Im just wondering where my time should be spent if i want to develop a decent looking shot. Currently our process is to build the space in CAD using basic wall elements, massings, blocks, etc. I add my textures and materials from autoCADs library and export to 3Dmax where I add my lighting. Unfortunately my finished product doesnt really end up looking like the one below. Im aware that i need more practice but i guess before i commit to practicing and improving my techniques I want to make sure im on the right track as far as my step-by-step process goes. Maybe I shouldn't be using 3Dmax, maybe i should be using a more basic third party renderer, maybe i shouldnt export at all and I should just use AutoCADs in-program lighting, etc.? Thanks... and sorry for the ignorance.

I really appreciate any advice, and I apologize if this is is posted in the wrong forum.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47368[/ATTACH]

You are on the right track just keep at it. Try and get to a point where you are only importing the model into Max and get comfortable creating materials in Max instead of AutoCAD. It's sorta like learning to play a musical instrument; anyone can pick up a guitar but it takes a lot of practice to really play one.